plaster or paper?

I am redecorating a room that has been papered and emulsioned. It gets heavy use

What are the pros and cons of a plaster finish with emulsion rather than using lining paper and emulsion

Thanks

Reply to
John G

One thing that springs to my mind is... painting emulsion direct to a plastered wall is if someone was to wallpaper over the emulsioned wall and then strip the wallpaper 12 months on,the wallper would leave the wall all patchy as the emulsion in parts would come away with the wallpaper and as far as painting it emulsion again would not be possible because the patchyness would show through.

However lining the wall with lining paper direct to plaster and then painting, 12 months on and you can strip the lining paper and wallpaper to plaster.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The main advantage is that it doesn't look totally appalling with horrible lines and peeling off corners, whilst taking a fraction of the time and effort to do. Cons are more difficult. The only one I can think of is that it is harder to strip, but, then, stripping is less likely to be needed.

If the plaster surface is new, you need to use a special paint for fresh plaster, as standard vinyl is not porous. I use Dulux Trade Supermatt. Available in any colour on the mixing machine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You must be crap at wallpapering then? ;-) hanging corners&no seamlees joins, tsk.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If you have a good plaster finish there is no need to bother with lining paper. Personally, if I had a crappy plastered wall I'd sooner fill and smooth it than use lining paper anyway. And lining paper is only more of a nuisance for future repairs/decoration.

Twenty years back when I was just a wee lad we'd never dream of just painting a wall, it was always either lining paper and paint or wallpaper. We also used to use that foam lining stuff. Fun days!

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Probably correct, although fine surface filler does spring to mind.

Or you could just leave the lining paper on and wallpaper over it, which is what it was intended for in the first place.

Reply to
Phil L

Can't you just use a 4:1 paint to water mix for the first coat? Or is DTSupermatt cheaper than this (and can you use this as the base coat)?

Reply to
Grumps