DeLonghi gas heater query

I have one of the old style, rectangular (vertical) DeLonghi gas heaters that takes your average blue gas cylinder. It has two of the ceramic heater 'elements' (ceramic?) on the front.
I bought it new a couple of years ago from B&Q but only properly used it for the first time today.
Unfortunately I can't find the instruction manual, but I find that after it's been on for a while, turning the top mounted black dial to the 'off' position (marked with a dot) doesn't turn the gas off. I need to turn the gas tap off on the adaptor that connects from the heater to the cylinder. It then goes off, but if I turn the tap back on again I can hear gas coming out.
Is this a fault with the heater or normal operation?
I'm sure I remember reading something along these lines when I first got the heater (ie turn the tap off after use) but am unsure.
Can anyone advise please?
Thanks
matt wrote:

I have a DeLongi portable gas heater, not your model, but it behaves exactly as you describe and this is what it's instruction book says is correct. You have to turn it off at the regulator tap on top of the gas bottle.
R.
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:31:37 +0000, Richard A Downing

Great, thanks. At least I now know it's not faulty. :)
Cheers