O/T: Amazing

Page 6 of 10

That's Obamacare.
On 7/1/2012 12:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Interestingly the social democrats did nothing to address tort reform, which is one of the biggest indirect cause of the increases in medical cost. indirect cost are additional CYA test, cost of expensive new equipment for the CYA test, etc.

I'm all for tort reform, ans also for quicker and more severe penalties for "misbehaving" physicians, hospitals, etc.
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/28/2012 10:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's entirely plausible that Roberts may have done more future damage to the liberal's causes than they realize at the moment ... they may have well been Marbury'ed ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/29/2012 7:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah, LOL, it is for sure designated as a tax now, one that even the Obama voters will have to pay, not just the wealthy. BTY if you make more than $40k you are considered wealthy by the Obominationists.

An interesting point was made on one of the local channels by one of the congresscritters today. Since Obamacare is now, by definition, a tax, it only takes a simple majority at conference (and the President's signature) to repeal it. A super-majority in the Senate isn't required for cloture.

Obamacare may be the blunt instrument which causes the American masses to finally come to Critical Mass. Stock water, food, supplies, and ammo, boys and girls.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
On 6/29/2012 9:57 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Our financial adviser told us a couple of years ago that financial planning should include a plot of land, a garden, some chickens and a shotgun to defend it. I think he was joking at the time he told us that but it is becoming less of a joke.
On 6/29/2012 11:26 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Problem is, the plot of land is subject to punishing property taxes; Monsanto has a lock on the seeds for your garden; your HOA/Municipality won't allow you to raise chickens; and your shotgun is under tremendous pressure to be confiscated.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/29/2012 12:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

Then Critical Mass it is. TAR2 (the American Revolution part II?) _ALL_ of those things need to be changed.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
Sometimes you can't get something for free. Very often there is a cost. And while I'm all in favor of individual responsibility, I also think that you have to play fair. Why should I get such favorable rates for health insurance (because I work or worked for a company (university) that was generous with benefits), while someone who is freelancing can't get affordable insurance (certainly not if there could be a pre-existing condition)? Is he/she really so much of a greater risk?
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/29/2012 3:59 PM, Han wrote:

The difference is the company pays for your health insurance and the independent does not have a company to pay part of his insurance.
To you this may seem unfair, but the company pays part of your insurance to keep you on the job each day to get the most out of you.

Yes, the benefits are what kept me in the job for far longer than I really wanted at times (and I was scared of failing to find a stable job with kids who wanted college). What is unfair is that the company also gets a tax break on those premiums, it's not just a freebie to you. Freelancers don't get that break, plus they have difficulty getting into a group with reduced premiums.
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/29/2012 10:28 PM, Han wrote:

Why should the company not get a tax break on the insurance that it buys for its employees. Employees are part of the manufacturing system upkeep of that system is a cost of producing the item being manufactured. If a machine breaks the cost of the repair is a tax deduction. If it hires an outside contractor to repair the machine, the contractor is a business expense and is a deduction. As an employee you are part of the manufacturing system. The insurance the company buys to cover you is an outside contractor that gets deducted.
With out tax breaks for maintenance of the production system the cost of the item to the consumer would be significantly higher.
I believe what people fail to realize is the cost of benefits for an employee. I worked for a small company in the 90's and at that time the benefit package was calculated into our budgets at 40% of the employee's salary or hourly rate. A big chunk of that was insurance. It probably is a larger percent to day with obamacare and all of the other government regulation covering an employee.

All true, but it leaves out the sole proprietor, small businessman and the freelancer. They don't get the tax deduction and/or the favorable group rates. In a market economy I'd consider that unfair. In a state- controlled system, well, all bets are off.
Level the rates, level the tax treatment, and make sure the buyer bewares.
Oh, yes, at Cornell Medical College there were yearly determinations of the costs of fringe benefits. Because postdocs were getting much less in benefits, there benefit cost was much less than the technicians' and the professional staffs', which was generally around 30% IIRC.
--
Best regards
Han

That's what was billed to the granting agencies. Of course, there was also a general "overhead" of 70% of total.
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/30/2012 8:51 AM, Han wrote:

If the tax account does his job properly sole proprietor and small businessman can be considered an employee and the company can get the same benefits.
The freelancer is an independent contractor and have their own deductions. Such as deducting that new computer you want and say it is needed to conduct your freelance business.

That assumes they get the same preferential treatment of their premium from the insurance company as a big company does. Rather presumptious and naive (I think, but I haven't checked it out).

That is separate from health insurance, right?
--
Best regards
Han
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have no need to stockpile boys, but thanks for the suggestion on girls.