RE: O/T: Stihl

What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn grass maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the needs of their market?

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE Ohio, the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is a national sale Lew. The lack of water in your neck of the woods does not extend to the east coast.

Reply to
Markem

---------------------------------------------- "Markem" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- Ignorance of the conditions that exist in excess of 12% of your market, (Left Coast) conveys another message about your business that is not exactly swift.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Perhaps you shouldn't under estimate the attraction people have for getting a deal on something that they think they need.... or might need in the future. I can think of several people I know who have all kinds of stuff that they got a deal on and that's been collecting dust ever since! ;~)

BTW, I didn't mind the deal on got on the Stihl chainsaw and PPE I got a few weeks ago... and I've used it! I've cut down about 20 dead/near-dead ash trees, 6 dead/near-dead maples and a dead pine tree with it already and have a lot more to go!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The market is nationwide. Commercials like you see now were made and scheduled many months ago.

In spite of the drought, equipment will still be needed and will be sold.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------------------------------ "John Grossbohl> Perhaps you shouldn't under estimate the attraction people have for

------------------------------------------------------- Talk about a deal.

The water dept will pay you to take out the grass and replace it with approved drought resistant native plants.

There are companies springing up that will come in, rip out your grass, design and replace the approved plants.

All you have to do is sit back and watch, sign over the water dept check and sip on your margarita.

That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------------ "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- You can tailor a nationwide TV commerical to exclude specific markets based on overnight results, just ask the politicans.

------------------------------------------------------- Guess there is still a market for string trimmers for use on the rocks and cacti.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Tuff day Bunkie?

Not bitching, just observing the obvious.

BTW, got out of the grass maintenance business over 30 years ago which was about the same time I lost any need for a snow shovel.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------------------------- My comments have NOTHING to do with Stihl products.

My comments are nothing other than an observation of their marketing techniques.

BTW, what is an "west coast attitude"?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Let see 100 - 12 = 88.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:557100cd$0$29684 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Costs a lot more to do that. Politicians, who have money to burn(*), can do that. Businesses that intend to make a profit have to be wiser with their money. It's a more cost effective for Stihl to advertise everywhere, even tho they know they won't sell much (if anything) in LA.

(* money in politics being a completely seperate problem...)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Markem wrote in news:2k13nal95gj64ob183rdg8efar3b9p8tuk@

4ax.com:

Except in Southern California, which is -- as everyone who lives there knows -- the most important part of the entire planet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

---------------------------------------------------------------------- The above was the initial post.

Nowhere does it attack where someone lives.

It was simply an observation of a gotcha as far as Stihl marketing is concerned.

Pitching a product you want to sell to a market segment that is shrinking and will continue shrink just isn't swift.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is a national campaign, why worry about it.

Reply to
Markem

It may be shrinking, but it is still a market. Why walk away from it? Why concede to the competition?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

--------------------------------------------------------------------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Under normal conditions, I'd agree with you, but the drought situation across the entire state of California is far from normal.

The governor has declared a water reduction program that has teeth on the penalty side for failure to comply.

Some people are looking at 36% reduction.

Fines in the $10K area.

SoCal is basically a paved desert. Nothing grows on a sustained basis without watering.

The quickest way to reduce water consumption, is to reduce watering the vegetation, especially grass.

You quit watering grass, it turns brown, a visible sign to your neighbors that you are implementing a water reduction program and also that it is not growing, thus doesn't need to be cut.

If your grass is green, expect a visit from the water police who have probably been tipped off by a neighbor.

All the above is aimed at the city/suburb dweller.

Agriculture is a whole different kettle of fish.

As a result of all the above, lawn care equipment is not a particularly good business in CA for the foreseeable future.

Neither is swimming pool equipment. People are talking about removing back yard pools.

All the above is a mattter of common knowledge, or should be, especially to somebody spend mass marketing advertising $.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It has been proven with solid evidence that Californians can be talked into buying anything. ;~)

I have see that grass, Kentucky Blue, is seems so delicate.

Along the Texas coast we have St. Augustine aka carpet grass. When growing well an average yard's clippings will will easily fill a 45 gal contractors bag with each mowing.

Leon

I'm sure Stihl is doing quite well in California. You can blame your local networks for choosing to let Stihl advertize in your market. If they were not selling products to the California population they would not be advertizing there. They are not an ignorant start up company.

Reply to
Leon

Doug Winterburn

But name recognition is. As long as Stihl advertises anything, their name is out there and the farmers will see it, recognize it, feel comfortable buying their product.

Ever notice the ads GE runs? They show airplanes they make engines for, they show trains, they show MRI equipment. Good chance you are not buying any of that this month, but they get the GE name out there as a company making good products.

Don't know about you, but if I buy a train this summer, I'm going to spec a GE engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski