Now Which Miter gauge??

Page 2 of 5
On 6/2/2011 7:20 AM, Leon wrote:

I have a Multi-Router ... take that!

Come and get it. It's yours anytime you want to use it/give it a try. As you know, basically between shops and its not being used at all.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/2/2011 7:24 AM, Swingman wrote:

Well thank you but I don't want to change you miter slot settings from your saw to mine and then back again....
I am not sure the thing is available any more. I visited all the dealers that Woodhaven listed and none show the miter gauge and one listed the Deluxe as discontinued.. ;~( Next time I am over I'll try to take a closer look.
On 6/2/2011 8:41 AM, Leon wrote:

I have had a Woodhaven basic model for a number of years and it stays where you put it every single time.
The two big setting of 90 and 45 are set with a registration pin and will not move.
I also have my original 1966 Delta miter guage that came with my 12/14 saw and it is "very" accurate even 46 years later.
It also weighs in at about 20 lbs.
I would get on the horn with Kreg...they are very nice folks.
I forget who they bought that miter guage deal from.
On 6/2/2011 9:29 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Well Swingman has reminded me that his is a Woodhaven and I have been looking closely at those. My Kreg works almost exactly the same way. I liked it because the indexing pin insures you that the gauge is at 90 or what ever every time.

Same here except my indexing pin really would not move. LOL

Already have and they want pictures..

I for get too, I bought the Kreg during the transition.
[...snip...]

The Woodhaven web site still lists it for sale, as does Amazon.
http://woodhaven.com/Woodhaven-4911K-Deluxe-Miter-Gauge-Kit/M/B002LU3BY4.htm
On 6/5/2011 2:06 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

Yes, I have found them to be available. Thanks.
On 6/2/2011 7:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

Not @you, Mike ... Leon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/2/11 7:20 AM, Swingman wrote:

I was already scratching my head. :-)
--

-MIKE-

L:
After some recommendations here on TS accessories, I went a bump up and got the Incra 1000SE. Waiting and looking, it came to me locally for 120 + the government. The HD was a contender. But the superior refinements of degree selection on the SE, confirmed by comparing accounts of experiences, prodded the decision.
I like it. My saw is left-tilt and it goes on the left side. No operation has commanded positioning it on the right yet. I'd guess it might take 5 minutes to switch it the first time, and a lot less once you get the motions on autoprogram.
The adjustable, expansive Teflon washers to snug up the miter bar in the slot had one out of position and three that did need the indicated tuning. If you expand them so the slot gets into the no-go zone, flip them up and set the slit line back further before adjusting.
If you want to cut degrees into tenths, it will. You can use the flip stop as a hold down on your board for operations where you aren't using it as a stop.
There was one slip in the directions. You need to loosen the clamp knob before peforming continuous angle adjustments in step 2 of "Changing Angle Settings". Honestly, if you a guy that far and didn't do it, put the traffic cone on the head...but they mentioned it where appropriate elsewhere and should have there.
A ball hex key is supplied for various adjustments. Were I to make a lot of them, I'd be replacing some of the frequently involved hex screws with thumbscrews. If the stop rods were graduated, that would have been nice too. The unit works well without those improvements. Will you be able to make finicky cuts measuring better than you can measuring and making a trial cut? No.
There's a toothed engagement strip to fix the positioning of the flip stop when it's moved. They give you a lifetime replacment on said strip. But if you honestly loosen the flip stop enough so it clears the strip when you move it, you'll never have to use the guarantee.
Would I buy it again? Hear the hearbeat. And I checked a range of reviews with a unanimous report of the same cardiac response.
Good luck.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On 6/1/2011 10:47 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

Thanks for the review. At the moment my biggest problem with the Incras equiped with the flip stop and expandable fence is the hassle of switching sides.
The Kreg takes a couple of seconds with no tools, but it is not expandable. The Incra appears to take perhaps 5 minutes to switch from the left to the right side of the blade. And yes I use both sides about evenly.

What I have is the same or similar. Switching between left and right of sawblade isn't much of a problem. A bigger one might be that it really needs to have the full width(depth) of the fence on the saw table. And, for smaller things I'd like some better holddown method ...
Opinion of a newbie at the craft, but I have had this miterfence for quite a while ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 6/2/2011 6:44 AM, Han wrote:

Do you not find switching the fence extension to the other side a problem/PIA? In my case I might do this 3`4 times a day. With the Kreg you loosen 2 wing nuts, slide the fence and tighten the wing nuts. But then again I have no fence extension.I guess I could leave the fence extension off un less I needed to use it....There is a thought.
For small pieces I use the eraser on the end of a new pencil as a hold down.

Yes it is a pain, but I bet that when you've done it a few times, it'll take less than a minute in all.

Then the fence becomes real short ... Unlessyou fix somekind of auxiliary fence to it, but then /it/ will have to switch between left and right .

THANKS!!
--
Best regards
Han

Looks like there was one slip in my head. The paragraph below is ammended for sense.

On 6/1/2011 11:08 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

I think I understood the first time.. ;~) Im a partial mind reader.
On 6/1/2011 10:47 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

You mention the HD as a contender, which one is that?
If I need to do accurate miters, I use my Dubby sled, each degree of adjustment requires about 1/4" of fence movement, basically it would be difficult to miss a setting with that much movement needed to change the angle 1 degree. The degree scale is at the opposite end of the fence pivot point.
Basically I like the flip stops and am not that concerned about multiple angle cuts since 99.9% of my cuts are at 90 degrees. I just want to know that if it looks like the gauge is set on 90 it absolutely is. The Kreg indexing pin assured me of that.
Thanks again for the review.
Mine is indeed the Incra 1000 SE, with a Woodcraft label on it. It does have a vernier on it for gauging 1/10 of degree increments.
--
Best regards
Han

Hopefully, that wasn't with a camelcamelcamel, Ed.

Right, not sold at Home Depot. He fooled me at first, too.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

LJ:
They spit from the front and kick from the rear. I'll stick to counting sheep.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 07:08:03 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

200 lines snipped

C'mon, guys. Please remember to --snip--.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.