No More Oil Based Paint???

Page 1 of 3
I use oil based paint, alkyd, for bookcases and any painted furniture that will be in contact with paper. Latex has an affinity for paper and it will get stuck on it. Alkyds don’t have this problem.
I’ve been informed by the local big boxes that they no longer selling oil based paints, other than floor and deck, and they will no longer be available after the first of the year. I went to my local Sherwin Williams and got the same story.
Has anyone else heard this? Have I missed something I should have been paying attention to? What can I use as a replacement if this happens?
Thanks all.
Kevin-at-rileyhome-dot-net
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mix it yourself. All ingredients in a good alkyd-paint are readily available in the market, and any oldfashioned painter knows the receipes.
In my youth, painters made most their paints in-shop. The simplest is boiled linseed oil and pigmentpowder and thinner to please.
Bjarte
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bjarte Runderheim wrote:

I will give that a try if need be. I make my own wood finishes but I never thought to give making my own paint a try.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Now that the radical republicans are in power, all of those useless environmental laws will be repealed and the good old polluting finishes will be available again.
--
Rumpty

Add pictures here
βœ–
Sweet!
Think I'll be able to buy lead paint again?

will
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lead paint, sure! There is no no no no no no o no proof lead is badddd for you...
--
Rumpty

βœ–

damn right, bro... gimme three..
Add pictures here
βœ–

Supposition here:
Oil-based is a great product, but is considered much less convenient by most painters, professional and otherwise. The solvents for cleaning are a challenge, compared to cleanup with soap and water.
This MAY be a byproduct of environmental legislation, but may just as well be a reaction to other 'market' forces.
I prefer the look of alkyd, and the lasting ability. However, because I end up fitting painting in around the rest of life, water-based is what gets used.
Let us know what you find out, please.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:55:47 GMT, patriarch

It may also simply be a BORG thing, or a state thing. My local paint stores here in CT haven't said anything about it. I use oil based ceiling paint on a regular basis over popcorn.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ba r r y wrote:

Personally I like butter or olive oil on popcorn but oil based paint- that's gotta have a weird taste.
Rick
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think with the exception of California, it is the type of store you buy from that determines whether you can get oil based or not. In Houston, you cannot get oil based paints from Sears but you can from Sherwin Williams, the maker of Sears paint. I think the stores that attract the average home owner will typically sell more latex paint. The pro stores sell more oil based for interior trim.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:22:49 GMT, "Leon"
......and in reply I say!:
Leon. read the OP. They said they tried Sherwin Williams, and were told no.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.
People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........
Add pictures here
βœ–
vaguely proposed a theory

Yeah I saw that but I still buy oil based at the Sherwin Williams in Houston. Local environmental laws may regulate where you can buy oil based paints.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:55:50 GMT, Ba r r y
<snip>

<humor>
You might try butter. It tastes a whole lot better, IMHO...
</humor>
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have to disagree with you here. My partner and I pant probably 3 houses a year on average. We much prefer oil based paints for clean up. Thinner will clean a brush 5 times faster than soap and water will clean latex pased paints. We use both and much prefer oil based at clean up time. We do all woodwork with oil based and all walls with latex.

The Alkyd is a dryer and should not change the appearance of the paint. Do you actually prefer the look an oil based finish to a latex finish?
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's the combination I like best.

I seem to have gotten the terms wrong, using alkyd instead of oil-based.
My painting is homeowner type, one room at a time, typically three colors, two coats each. (Two wall colors, white ceiling & trim) Four different cans of paint. (Two gloss levels on the white) And my wife has become enamoured of the faux and decorator artsy treatments.
At least it's not wall paper very often any more.
Working as a pro, and recycling solvents properly, I agree with your assessment. But, for me, painting three door jambs, and 60 ft of crown, and then cleaning up, and doing it over and over again, and getting interrupted because 'that green isn't what I thought I wanted', etc., makes me grateful for water cleanup.
Keep doing things the way that is successful for you.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
patriarch wrote:

I'm sorry. You have my sympathy. Maybe we should start a support group for the husbands of wives who watch too many home decorator TV shows.
βœ–
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:48:57 -0500, Silvan

Married wimps^H^H^H^H^Hmen should do the Tough Love thing. Lock out the channels via the remote using a password the wife wouldn't know.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

I think that relationship advice from this newsgroup MIGHT be as suspect as that dispensed on daytime television!
And none even comes with a safety warning, ala Norm.
Let's just say that there is more than one way to lose a body part...
Patriarch, 31.5 years and counting, and smiling. Some things are worth the pain^H^H^H^Hinvestment.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:43:06 GMT, patriarch

So wear one of these <tap tap> safety cups in your drahs!