No More Oil Based Paint???

I use oil based paint, alkyd, for bookcases and any painted furniture that will be in contact with paper. Latex has an affinity for paper and it will get stuck on it. Alkyds don?t have this problem.

I?ve been informed by the local big boxes that they no longer selling oil based paints, other than floor and deck, and they will no longer be available after the first of the year. I went to my local Sherwin Williams and got the same story.

Has anyone else heard this? Have I missed something I should have been paying attention to? What can I use as a replacement if this happens?

Thanks all.

Kevin-at-rileyhome-dot-net

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Mix it yourself. All ingredients in a good alkyd-paint are readily available in the market, and any oldfashioned painter knows the receipes.

In my youth, painters made most their paints in-shop. The simplest is boiled linseed oil and pigmentpowder and thinner to please.

Bjarte

Reply to
Bjarte Runderheim

I will give that a try if need be. I make my own wood finishes but I never thought to give making my own paint a try.

Reply to
Kevin

Now that the radical republicans are in power, all of those useless environmental laws will be repealed and the good old polluting finishes will be available again.

Reply to
Rumpty

Sweet!

Think I'll be able to buy lead paint again?

Reply to
Tim and Stephanie

Kevin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Supposition here:

Oil-based is a great product, but is considered much less convenient by most painters, professional and otherwise. The solvents for cleaning are a challenge, compared to cleanup with soap and water.

This MAY be a byproduct of environmental legislation, but may just as well be a reaction to other 'market' forces.

I prefer the look of alkyd, and the lasting ability. However, because I end up fitting painting in around the rest of life, water-based is what gets used.

Let us know what you find out, please.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

It may also simply be a BORG thing, or a state thing. My local paint stores here in CT haven't said anything about it. I use oil based ceiling paint on a regular basis over popcorn.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet"

I have to disagree with you here. My partner and I pant probably 3 houses a year on average. We much prefer oil based paints for clean up. Thinner will clean a brush 5 times faster than soap and water will clean latex pased paints. We use both and much prefer oil based at clean up time. We do all woodwork with oil based and all walls with latex.

The Alkyd is a dryer and should not change the appearance of the paint. Do you actually prefer the look an oil based finish to a latex finish?

Reply to
Leon

Personally I like butter or olive oil on popcorn but oil based paint- that's gotta have a weird taste.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

I think with the exception of California, it is the type of store you buy from that determines whether you can get oil based or not. In Houston, you cannot get oil based paints from Sears but you can from Sherwin Williams, the maker of Sears paint. I think the stores that attract the average home owner will typically sell more latex paint. The pro stores sell more oil based for interior trim.

Reply to
Leon

Use floor paint.

Reply to
ddinc

mix a little water based poly into the paint this will harden the surface by quite a bit and it will not stick to anything.

Reply to
Steve Knight

You might try butter. It tastes a whole lot better, IMHO...

Reply to
mac davis

"Leon" wrote in news:f6cjd.16523$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

That's the combination I like best.

I seem to have gotten the terms wrong, using alkyd instead of oil-based.

My painting is homeowner type, one room at a time, typically three colors, two coats each. (Two wall colors, white ceiling & trim) Four different cans of paint. (Two gloss levels on the white) And my wife has become enamoured of the faux and decorator artsy treatments.

At least it's not wall paper very often any more.

Working as a pro, and recycling solvents properly, I agree with your assessment. But, for me, painting three door jambs, and 60 ft of crown, and then cleaning up, and doing it over and over again, and getting interrupted because 'that green isn't what I thought I wanted', etc., makes me grateful for water cleanup.

Keep doing things the way that is successful for you.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So how do you suggest repainting, when you get tired of Navajo Sand, or Antique White trim?

I don't believe that an Apollo 900 is quite THAT free from overspray.

If I could avoid brushing, I would. I've been a fan of airless since the late 70's, when I was introduced to the Binks Super Bee (sp?) by some painting pro friends of mine. But that was out of doors, and not on a windy day.

Enlighten me some more, oh experienced one! I have the interiors of two houses to repaint!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Steve, That's a great idea. Any idea as to proportions or should I experimant.

Reply to
Kevin

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:22:49 GMT, "Leon" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Leon. read the OP. They said they tried Sherwin Williams, and were told no.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

I'm sorry. You have my sympathy. Maybe we should start a support group for the husbands of wives who watch too many home decorator TV shows.

Reply to
Silvan

Find a paint store, a real paint store not a big box with a paint department and ask for Graham Paint. Highest quality alkyd paints I have ever used.

Roger

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke

Alky refers to the soy resins used in the paint not a dryer.

Roger

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke