primer for oil based paint

Hi all I,m painting fiberglass door I have oil based paint Do I need oil based primer

Reply to
ypylaw1

That's the usual way it's done. Water over oil is ok but oil over water is a no-no.

Reply to
Hugh Jassolle

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192- snipped-for-privacy@f25g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer I've ever used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil- or water-based finish.

Reply to
Tegger

Not necessarily; all you need is a primer listed to be compatible w/ the paint. There are latex primers that are so rated as well; it depends entirely on the top coat's published requirements.

--

Reply to
dpb

That is not correct.

What he needs is a primer that is suitable for use on fiberglass, and a paint that is suitable for use with that primer.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine came pre-primed.

Reply to
clare

He's not MIXING oil and water....either primer, properly cured, gives a dry surface on which to apply paint or wallpaper. Provided the primer is suitable for fiberglass, there should be no problem. For an exterior door, oil might be a more durable finish. Just read the labels.

Reply to
norminn

The new third generation latex, as well as water born pre-catalyzed urethanes are more durable than just about ANY oil based paint.

Reply to
clare

On 9/6/2010 6:36 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Why not, and what would you use?

Seems to me oil-based primer is going to stick to just about anything as well as any paint can.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

best primer is a solvent thinned epoxy, then a phenolic primer, then an 'oil based primer', then a water based primer.... water based epoxy primer probably right up there with solvent thinned epoxy primer......

-- only the worst stuff available at the box stores.

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Why not oil based? Because good acrylic latex actually stands up better - and if you are going to use higher end paint - like automotive paint, the water born pre-catalysed urethanes are better than air dry enamel and less fuss than acrylic laquer or acrylic enamel.- and every bit as good on fiberglass.

Reply to
clare