Oil-Based Paint Question

Depends on the primer--some (actually, most now) are designed for either oil or water-based finish coats while others aren't. The cans you have will say.

You probably aren't restricted, see above. Premium paints from reputable vendors primarily. This is more a religious question than otherwise--everybody who posts in response will have their own personal favorite and horror story about somebody else's. In general, as in other areas, "you get what you pay for" is a valid saw.

Irrespective of age, surface prep is the most important factor and that has to happen prior to the prime coat going on. If you have old, weathered surfaces, cleaning and washing w/ a wood renewer containing oxalic acid is almost a necessity in order to get a fresh surface to which new paint will adhere. If there is existing tightly bonded paint, a good wash and scuff-sand will do the trick.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the roofline. I know in the past that the best paint to use on this house was oil-based since it seemed to stay on the old wood for a lot longer than latex would. Some of the exposed wood is 200 years old which can present some challenges.

I am painting this fall and I already have a few gallons of oil-based primer. For the finish coat, am I restricted to only using an oil-based finish coat or can I use latex obver an oil based primer (or if I can, would I want to for decent results)? If I am restrited to oil for the top coat, what are some recommendations for a specific brand, or characteristics to look for?

Thanks in advance for any information/insights.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Generally, you can use either over primers but I'm sure there are exceptions so follow the instructions on the primer can. IMO, oil primer is the preferred product (as opposed to latex primer).

As far as top coats go, I personally dislike latex - especially over wood as it doesn't flow well and is next to impossible to sand.

*HOWEVER*, a good latex on exterior stuff seems to do better than oil so my choice would be latex over oil primer.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

As a general rule you can always use latex over a oil based paint but not an oil over a latex.

Stay away from big box store pa>My stone house has some exposed wood around the windows an along the

Reply to
lastone222