Welcome to Home Depot

A gleaming new HD opened in our little town three weeks ago. They're having a glorious grand opening now. I went in for three (3) four-step stringers, pre-cut. They are out of inventory already.

Bob, looking forward to many more satisfying years of customerhood.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

If you think HD is the low price leader on everything you will be wrong. We shop at one or two HD's per day and several Ace and True Value stores per day in our business and often times find many items for less at the small stores.

Convience often dictates where we shop on most items not price, but I have noticed many items are less at the small hardware store.

my .02,

AZCRAIG

cm

Our local store was horrible for the first 6-8 months. It did get a lot better in time.

I still prefer local paint, electrical, plumbing and hardware stores, but usually end up in the BORG out of hours.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

snippage of Bahb's tale (tail David) of woe (whoa David)...

I had seen chrome closet poles at the Home Depot in Tosa. It stood to reason that I'd find them at the store in Da False. They weren't. When I asked about them I was told "this is a smaller, experimental store". I ended up buying them at Nue's.

The experiment failed.

UA100, who really should shop more at Nue's anyways...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Exactly. I think their mode of operation is to lowball after opening in hopes of running some of the locals out of business. Then go with their regular pricing. But they are convenient.

I, like you, have also found local hardware and farm supply stores offer better prices on hardware, sanding and finishing supplies and even tools. We also use a local industrial supply store that sells sanding materials, solvents, shop chemicals and such at 2/3 to 1/2 the price of the borg (retail not wholesale).

I think the most telling thing is their participation with contractors. We built the first house in a new development five years ago. Since, we have watched the neighborhood fill in to near completion. Obviously, there has been a parade of lumber and other building material supply trucks in the area every day. I don't think the borgs (HD, Lowe's) represent 5% of the delivery traffic. They serve the homeowner who wants one-stop-shopping. The local lumberyards help build the houses.

Both have been darned good stock to own though!

Reply to
RonB

Agreed, cm...

Our Mom & P> If you think HD is the low price leader on everything you will be wrong. We

Reply to
DamnYankee

I stopped shopping at the HD stores in our area a long time ago.

1) They have a lot - of the same thing. Not much on variety at all 2) 1 or 2 lines max on just about anything & prices are high. 3) Cheap (quality) prevails - Ryobi? You gotta be kidding. 4) Good luck on plywoods - partical board and other cheap crap prevail

You get the warehouse feeling, without the warehouse pricing or variety. Try talking to a "professional" there - the advice I've gotten there has always been pretty bad.

I go to specialty shops for everything. They know what they're talking about, and you get variety, and you get a reasonable price. I don't mind paying for what I'm getting. What I don't like is when they paint it orange and try to tell you that it's really top notch.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

"You've got that warehouse feeling! Whoa, oh, oh - that warehouse feeling!

You've got that warehouse feeling And it's gone, gone, gone.

whoa-oh, eh-oh..

Reply to
patrick conroy