Home Depot Sucks

I hope I'm not breaking the rules of this group, but I'm working on a new website called

which is newly opened and I was hoping on getting some Home Depot horror stories from people in this group to get the forum rolling.

You can go to the site and post them, or post them here (let me know if it's ok to copy the story over), and I'll come back and get them (if any?).

Thanks a lot. I know "advertising" is a no-no on Usenet, but this is strictly non-profit and evolved strictly for my desire to share my hate of the big orange hell hole with others who feel the same.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

its a warehouse...prices are ok, plumbing in 1 aisle,elec in another ....what do you want? true the clerks may not have extensive knowledge but the emphasis is price and availability

if you don't know what you are doing you may be better off in a specialty store where they can solve your problem,get your merchandise , and show you how to do it. There is nothing wrong with this, Quite often I do not know what the hell I am doing,and I go to a specialty shop and pay a little more for some sage wisdom. I quote Dirty Harry "man's got to know his limitations"

Reply to
twiedeman

Rules? We don't got no steenkin rules!

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

What city are you in that has such a despicable HD?

Here in Phoenix I don't find them to be the cleanest of stores... they use evaporative coolers, but I always find the people helpful... even had one clerk yesterday tell me to go to Lowes ;-)

Why don't you write a letter to corporate management?

BTW, freedom of speech or not, your site will likely get the attention of HD, who will promptly sue you.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Yeah right. Like the president, Bob Nardelli, a GE reject, really cares.....

Reply to
HeatMan

I don't waste my time typing stories for such sites.

I vote with my feet and wallet.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Take your complaints to HD itself. I find all 3 stores in my area are fine, receptive to critique, and workable, if you know the limitations - I tend not to use their installation services, and take their tech advice with a grain of salt, but their choices/prices are good, the places are clean, organized, and efficient. You can always collect stories, but what's the point? Do something that can lead to improvements rather than collect pointless gripes, sitting on the sidelines.

Reply to
Roger

Unforyunately, HD carries a few items that no one else seems to stock or, if they do, they sell it for a ridiculosly high price. For example, HD is the only place that sells Lawn Restore fertilizer in my area except for the nursuries which charge about 30% higher for the stuff.

Reply to
Rob

Hi, Always a case of consumer BEWARE. If you got sucked, it's your fault. That's today's logic in business which is terrible but true. HD has some good prices for sure. I never had trouble dealing with HD. Also I have some good trades people I can lean on. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

____Reply Separator_____ Ditto! I do as much renodeling/repair/maintenance as I can. If I do hire someone to do the work I need to have done (mostly electrical) I don't give a rat's @$$ where they get the parts, as long as the price is within reason.

BTW, if all of the posters (excluding me) in this thread were on "Jeopardy", and the question was, "Name two large, national, home improvement/repair/ remodeling/garden centers" They may have got Lowe's correct, but Alex would not have allowed their second answer!

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Not from me , I happen to love that big store, even though it is staffed by mere humans. You might find your energies better spent developing your own business to compete with Home Depot and running your place *right * .

Reply to
PAROADHOG

If you really don't like Home Depot, why don't you go to Lowes and see how you like them?

You'll save yourself a whole lot of time, effort and worry.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Here in Palm Beach county, Florida, there are a Lowes and a Home Depot across the SR7 highway from each other. One time when a Lowes clerk couldn't find something for me, he asked if I had "checked our warehouse across the street (wink, wink)."

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

How would you summarize your substantive complaint in one sentence?

Are you old enough to remember before warehouse stores, and what that was typically like?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Truth is a defense to libel. Stick to facts and, if you can afford to litigate it and appeal if necessary, you will likely (but not certainly) win.

That's just one reason "free speech" is a lie.

Reply to
Chia Pet

Yowza! I didn't mean to get everyones feathers ruffled. The only reason I brought it up was because I searched through the rec.woodworking archives and found quite a few subscribers who had similar negative experiences involving HD. Judging from the response I've received on the website, I'd say that this is still the case.

If I offended anyone, I apologize. The fact of the matter is the Home Depot's in the Bay Area are flat out awful in my opinion. I've filled out endless comment cards with my name and address, and they do nothing. I honestly wish we had them as nice as the ones you all have access to.

Reply to
Sam

I've never understood the desire to so publically proclaim your dislike for a company. There are lots of options if you don't like a particular retailer, the most important being not giving them your business. However, they do have a decent selection of what I generally need and if I need something special, I got to the special stores.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I made sure that I supported my local hardware/lumber store by spending my money there. I didn't bother wasting my energies railing against the 'Borg'. Take the money you're spending trashing a respectible retailer and give it to another respectible retailer that you like.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

Good advice. Remember that a lot of people like HD. Their growth shows it. If you don't like it, vote with your feet and your wallet.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

We have 2 here in San Jose (bay area) that I know of and they both seem ok. I actually think their people are more knowledgeable than any other retail store I've been to.

Reply to
Adam Russell

So...

You get 30% less price, with 30% more hassle.

Or

You get 30% more price, with 30% less hassle.

I rest my case and stand by my original comment.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .