Home Depot sucks

Those ads that are on TV are a real joke...not that I expected otherwise..but someone should sue HD, for false advertisement. I recently went to my local HD to look for a storm door replacement. I was told by the salesman that they would have to send a measurer to my home and there would be a $30 charge, which would be deducted to the price of the new door, if they do the installation. I hesitated, but its either I agree and get it done or not. So I reluctantly agreed. Well, I was really taken aback when a couple arrived to do the measuring. They were a ma and pa pair. Judging by their accent, I think they were from Russia or one of those slavic country's...nothing wrong with that, per se. The problem? First, it was their accent...they spoke broken english...they were in an arrogant mode. After taking the measurments, I asked to see it or at least make a copy of it, and she said HD don't allow to show it. I demanded that I paid for it and i want to see it. She was just about to hand it over to me to look at it, and as I was to accept it, she withdrew quickly and cursed me in her native tongue and took off in her car. I yelled that I was going to tell HD..but that didn't phased them. I called HD and spoke to the expeditor and she said she would make a note of it and would call me in

3 days to let me know what the measurements are. Where the heck does HD get these people? I was looking for a professional man or woman, who could explain to me what and why they were making such measurements in an area, where I was told by one of their salesman on the phone, to just measure the door only I knew that was wrong, I have had previously installed jambs to accommodate the door i have now. I know its not the standard size..but I thought at least they were installed already and make a custom door to fit in. I wonder how cheaply HD is paying these people that are sent to measure only. ..maybe that was the reason of their arrogance.
Reply to
Anthona

You agreed and they showed up. How do you know they cursed you? I never knew HD had an "expeditor", that sounds important.

-- Oren

Oren

[snip story of measurement and disillusionment]...

What, specifically, was in an ad that was false? I see nothing in your story that implies any breach of promise could have been made. You asked for a measurement, they sent somebody out to measure. The rest was, undoubtedly, not necessarily the best in terms of customer relations, but where is it written (or even implied) that you are "owed" the measurements? All HD has agreed is to supply an installed door into the opening which, I'm sure, they would/will do assuming you don't stop them. The $30 front-end fee and the reluctance to provide data to a customer is to prevent the otherwise inevitable "drive-offs" that would otherwise be the result--they measure, the customer takes the measurements and goes somewhere else. Sad to say, I can't blame HD given the state of most customers these days.

As for going to HD in the first place for anything but a standard off-the-shelf run-of-the-mill item, enough said...you don't go to McDonald's for prime rib.

Reply to
dpb

HD don't give a rats ass about it. The product gets bought from them and they send out these half assed f*ck ups to do the job. HD tacks on

20% for themselves.
Reply to
robson

This is par for the course for home cheapo. Only contractors that are desperate for one reason or another will work for them.

Reply to
Al Moran

Home Depot dose that for a lot of things I brought a set of room measurements to the inch extremely detailed , door layouts beyond any blueprint. They said they have to come out and measure it for $50 dollars. They told me all carpet places charge that, Well home Depot and Lowes are the only two I've run into. My answer to them was if your to stupid to give me a price from my drawings. then your not capable of installing my carpet. Also the one time I ordered a door from HD it was all screwed up the jambs were all broken. I just made new jambs myself. I also at the same time ordered windows standard size, That was just a total nightmare, the manager would hide when he saw me. HD is the kind of store that if it's on the shelf and you know what you want you might be OK. I'll never order anything from them again. Also their wood is really high priced and crap. Here's my advice, why should you pay for someone trying to sell you something. A lesson learned

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I have yet to find anybody, in any store, anywhere, that is as capable as made out to be in TV commercials. Just once I'd like to though.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I did not post the following.>>>>>>>>>

Reply to
Oren

Why anyone goes there for installed items is beyond me. Is it so difficult to open the yellow pages (a phone book with yellow paper in it) and find a locally owned contractor?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

did the expeditor call you back in 3 days with the measurements?

Reply to
nowforsale

I like that word, "expeditor".

-- Oren

Oren

"expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor", "expeditor".

Reply to
RayV

It sort of is HD's fault and sort of isn't. When they say they are sending one of "their" people to do something, they are simply sending some contractor who they really don't know that they were able to get in touch with. There's really little more relationship than that. Then they go by feedback. If someone gets a lot of complaints, then they cease to be a "Home Depot" contractor.

Reply to
jeffc

We as a society never will. The reason is we SAY we want quality, but what we REALLY want is low prices. You can't have both. As a businessman, I'll never forget a quote by an electronics (stereos) executive regarding the sound quality of his products. "I'd be very happy for consumers to desire products from Company A, but buy products from our company."

In other words, when a company has to choose between having a couple customers who are happy, and having a lot of customers who keep bitching but also keep giving them plenty of repeat business, it's a complete no brainer. The service from companies like Home Depot and Best Buy will always be crap. And that's the way we keep it.

Reply to
jeffc

My brother had 15 years of experience in building and remodeling before he started working on his own. He went to home cheapo to find out about being a 'contractor' for them. They pay *way* below market rate so the installers they employ are probably below market ability.

Reply to
RayV

When I was Contracting I never charged to look at a job and give them a quote. The big box stores prices really aren't that good to justify charging to measure. There a ton of Mom And Pop carpet and flooring stores, the one thing they do have is real service.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Appliance stores, too. There's a huge buying consortium whose name I forget, but it allows locally owned appliance stores to easily compete with HD, Lowe's etc. And, you get actual service.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why are you complaining about their skills? They know how to use a tape measure. Evidently, you don't or you would have measured the door yourself. Yes, even people that speak a foreign language can learn to use a tape measure.

Those damned furriners probably use millimeters anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"RayV" wrote in news:1159319290.170825.209150 @k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

We are Expeditor. You will be expedited. Resistance is futile.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I hate Home Depot. They have a better selection and more professional people at Lowe's or my lcoal mom and pop Do-It Hardware store. And they don't run out of important items at Lowe's. They know how to reorder.

Reply to
grappletech