Those Posts On That Subject

Ususally, I just try to filter out off-topic newsgroup posts by keywords in the Subject or Body fields. Unfortunately, some people are enthused about discussing someone who happens to have a surname similar to certain types of plants. (Note that I decline to discuss any intelligence or morality similarities.)

There are thousands of separate newsgroups, carefully sorted into different subjects.

When I read rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible I am looking for discussion on (drum roll please) gardening.

If I wanted to read discussion and debates about which criminals are running which gubmint in which country, I would go to newsgroups where those topics were actually relevant.

Perhaps certain people could start placing some warning keyword in the Subject line of their non-gardening posts. Then, folks interested in gardening could filter out the non-interesting debates.

Thank you.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

OR, and here's a novel idea, you can stop trying to control people and you would follow your own advice and stop posting off topic posts, marked or not.

escape

Obsessive compulsives should stay away from newsgroups because there is no way they can control them.

If you want to avoid seeing any posts on politics, you should try living in a hole in the ground in the dark.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Can my hole in the dark be in Costa Rica on a mountain with lovely waterfalls and orchids growing in the parrot filled trees? I know someone who is moving down there, bought the land and plans to grow vanilla on the property. I cannot wait to see how that works out for my friend. Sounds like my kind of hole.

escape

If you'd like, I could forward you some e-mail on this. For the last couple weeks, at least twice a day, I get spam titled "Costa Rica Real Estate". I've never read them, but if you'd like a copy, I'm sure we could find a way to get your name on their list. ;)

Reply to
Warren

Art thou familiar with the concept of hypocrisy?

Reply to
Eru Ilúvatar

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz:

I agree I'd be nice if you could automate the filtering things you're not interested in, but that would require a modicum of courtesy and I think most people are content to do it manually.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I love irony.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Fancy finding you here!

s.

Reply to
someone

I've been here all along, you sissy boy.

You must be a flagrant newbie if you didn't know that.

Why don't you go off to your same-sex life-partner doily-making overly hyphenated forum and complain about that?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Yes, it *does* sound like you. Lovely to hear from you again :-)

Anyway, worry not, C-v, I won't bother you again, it was just by accident I came across you in here. Bye-bye.

s.

Reply to
someone