above ground pool leak-HELP

I have an above ground pool that is leaking water. We can see the water on the outside of the pool in the rocks/dirt around the pool. We have dove and dove and dove in the area the water is on the outside but canNOT find any holes, gaps, splits, NOTHING to explain where the water is coming from.

ANY ideas how to find where the leak is? The pool place said there is a dye test but of course they do not carry it.

HELP my poor water bill please!

THANKS!

Kim S.

Reply to
Scott

You imply you have to add water to the pool, how much?

I've had a lot of pinhole leaks, but they were always visible (with goggles).

Reply to
Dan Espen

Very difficult if the leak is slow. There's just not enough hydraulic force to detect easily.

Just use the ordinary phenol red pH test reagent bottle for dye testing. Very tricky to get the water still enough for this to work. More of a way to prove a certain suspected spot is leaking.

I've also heard suggested using squares of tissue paper, but when I tried this it wasn't very sensitive. Toilet tissue just disintegrates, so you have to use something like Kleenex or wrapping tissue. The idea is that you can test a small area for suction at once, and move systematically to cover a larger area.

You'll be wishing for scuba gear. You won't get things calm enough if you have to dive and hold your breath.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch