Bandsaw

I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal resaws although there may be some in the future. Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and Laguna. Would like to stay in the $1,000 price range.

Any suggestions from anyone. Thanks

Reply to
Jim Weidenfeller

You should also consider the MiniMax S14 (about $700 plus shipping, with 8" resaw) and the Jet 16" ($775 delivered into your garage from Amazon). The Jet has 10" resaw capacity, not as many bells and whistles but seems pretty solid.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The most recent issue of American Woodworker magazine has a review of bandsaws. It is the first of two parts, the second to appear in the next issue. I thought their material was very good.

Reply to
Billy Smith

"Jim Weidenfeller" wrote

Jim - If $1000 is your max. I'd go with the Grizzly GO513 17" saw. 12" resaw and the beef of a 2hp motor. I have the GO555 14 inch and love it. But if I had a $1K max then the GO513 would be the best value for the money. Leaves some money to buy some good Timberwolf blades. Check it out at

skiea3b

"Denny" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If you don't need the resaw capacity, the Minimax seems a better saw. I own the Jet 16. The lower blade guides are difficult to reach, without removing the table.

Reply to
patriarch

I'd start by camping out on this auction, or one similar close by you (1).

it goes in the $200-$600 range you can pretty much feel you've done very well. With the left over money you could either set yourself up with a rotary phase convertor or re-motor it. Later, if you wanted to sell it, you could/would re-coup what you have/had in it and buy something else.

Not a problem.

(1) They aren't always close by but I'd not ever not consider a one day "out and back" for that "just right" machine. For instance,

Some Machines Considered "Just Right"

?ViewItem&category=57124&item=3851280185or
may look as though I favor the Powermatic (I like mine) but really it's just a matter of available (at this time) inventory. The underlying theme here is, if you buy a used machine you can usually recoup your investment and sometimes more. Buy new and it depreciates before the nice lady at Master Card/Visa/AmEx charges the charge against your permanent record.

In My Humble Opinion/Your Mileage May Vary/Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

the resaw kit, everything still dead on. I've resawed 8-10" stuff(slabs of quilted material from a Norway Maple stump slab) with it, only bogged down a couple times when I fed too fast. This was with a Griz 3/4" 3 T.P.I. blade, no skewing of cut, fence dead on as delivered.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Whew... for under $1000, you could get one of those 17" Grizzleys- possibly a 19", with S&H and all. I don't have one *yet* myself, but a fellow woodworker in the area has one, and I was checking it out when helping him build his shop- they're nice peices of machinery for the price! So far, I don't like Delta for bandsawing, but I only have a 9" benchtop, so there may be a signifigant increase in quality when you move to a larger model.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus