New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking

Page 1 of 4

This is an announcement.
There is a new woodworking newsgroup: fam.woodworking in the new, family- friendly fam.* usenet news hierarchy. If you're interested in this group, please email a request to your usenet administrator and ask them to carry the fam.* hierarchy.
Thank you.
--
Susan Welchel
Administration Team for fam.* news hierarchy
Susan Welchel wrote:

announcement: No.
Dave

Why do I feel all creepy when I read this? Who are these super net nanny folks who think we need an alternative to the wreck? Must be too much intelligence and real discussion to suit them.
And this all ages-family crap?? How does this apply to woodworking? Am I suppose to show my three year old neice how to play with table saws and routers? Talking about power tools with small children?? This sound far more dangerous than any moronic line of logic these folks could muster up.

And they think the trolls won't specifically seek them out. Sadly, that will without a doubt be the result of all this. We _did_ try to tell them.

Oooow. He said "crap". I'm taking my circular saw-wielding two-year-old over to the new family-friendly newsgroup.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:31:01 -0400, Susan Welchel

I _am_ my usenet administrator. Based on your track record, I won't be bothering.

And goodbye.
Oh Great! Here we go again.
The last time someone tried to start a wreck alternative it turned into a world-wide range war.
Hang on!
RonB
RonB wrote:

Yup, but think back, it's the SAME people again.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

That's right...
Lord, save me from people that work in what they think is your name.
Have Delete key, Will travel
--
Ak'toh'di

Susan Welchel wrote: If you're interested in this group,

I'm sure they would get right on that.
Susan Welchel wrote:

cool. I've been a little shy about using words like fuck on rec.woodworking because my friends hang around here. but now I don't have to be so reserved... I'm happy to hear your news that there's a newsgroup just for using the word fuck in a woodworking context. thank you so much, susan...
"bridger" wrote in

Well, if you limit your knowledge sources to only folks who talk nice, you don't learn very much.
Which seems to be part of Susan's merry band of usenet censors agenda.
So, in effect, this is an attempt to "dumb down" woodworking discusions.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:55:36 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Limiting it to the minimal propagation of a bogus new top level hierarchy is even more limiting. You can of course create any usenet group or hierarchy you want, but if you don't play by the big boys' rules, then it won't propagate past your own server.
Why all the hostitility to this announcement? Is there some history here that I don't know about? If there's an audience for a moderated group, it will make it, otherwise, it will fail.
Susan Welchel wrote:

bf wrote:

do a google search for vito kuhn. there is a lot of history, none of it nice.

I was thinking along similar lines. How could the new group have any impact on this group? As far as I'm concerned, I'll extend my best wishes for success in her endeavor and drop in on both groups to contribute and/or learn. Whatever happened to 'live and let live'?
gregg
gregg wrote:

You definitely need to DAGS on her name as well as Vito Kuhn. Their interest is in splitting the rec, not joining. They tried having their own group formed and lost due to fraud in the voting process. If you read some of their posts, you'll detect the holier than thou odor. Oh hell, DAGS and all will be made clear.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

They could make a million of them, and it would be fine- except for the fact that there is an announcement every couple of months or so from this twit and her buddy Vito reminding us all that the Wreck is a filthy cesspool of naughty words and terrible vices. My experience has been otherwise- very few groups related to any subjects I have any interest in are nearly as clean or high-minded as this one, so I don't take kindly to her raving. YMMV.

Yup. Tons of it. Susan and - what's his name - Leo or Leon or something - wandered in here, pronounced us unfit, and blundered through several iterations of telling us what was good for us, except that they never came here to make their case, they just tried to come up with groups to save us from ourselves. In the process, forged emails, massive vote fraud, and continued absence of building support here ensued. Whazzizname actually has a place on the net.kooks hall of shame as a result of those, and his subsequent, actions.

If this is the same group that tried it about a year ago they are not friendly - they can be vicious. Several of occasional Wreck'ers fell victim to having counterfeited flaming, vulgar and insulting posts and emails sent to other members in their names. My wife and grandkids got to read some of this crap. That campaign probably caused some of the more casual Wreck posters to drop out.