New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking

This is an announcement.

There is a new woodworking newsgroup: fam.woodworking in the new, family- friendly fam.* usenet news hierarchy. If you're interested in this group, please email a request to your usenet administrator and ask them to carry the fam.* hierarchy.

Thank you.

Reply to
Susan Welchel

announcement: No.

Dave

Reply to
David

folks who think we need an alternative to the wreck? Must be too much intelligence and real discussion to suit them.

And this all ages-family crap?? How does this apply to woodworking? Am I suppose to show my three year old neice how to play with table saws and routers? Talking about power tools with small children?? This sound far more dangerous than any moronic line of logic these folks could muster up.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I _am_ my usenet administrator. Based on your track record, I won't be bothering.

And goodbye.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And they think the trolls won't specifically seek them out. Sadly, that will without a doubt be the result of all this. We _did_ try to tell them.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oooow. He said "crap". I'm taking my circular saw-wielding two-year-old over to the new family-friendly newsgroup.

Reply to
Jerry S.

Oh Great! Here we go again.

The last time someone tried to start a wreck alternative it turned into a world-wide range war.

Hang on!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Susan Welchel wrote: If you're interested in this group,

I'm sure they would get right on that.

Reply to
B a r r y

rec.woodworking because my friends hang around here. but now I don't have to be so reserved... I'm happy to hear your news that there's a newsgroup just for using the word f*ck in a woodworking context. thank you so much, susan...

Reply to
bridger

"bridger" wrote in

Well, if you limit your knowledge sources to only folks who talk nice, you don't learn very much.

Which seems to be part of Susan's merry band of usenet censors agenda.

So, in effect, this is an attempt to "dumb down" woodworking discusions.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Why all the hostitility to this announcement? Is there some history here that I don't know about? If there's an audience for a moderated group, it will make it, otherwise, it will fail.

Susan Welchel wrote:

Reply to
bf

Yup, but think back, it's the SAME people again.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

do a google search for vito kuhn. there is a lot of history, none of it nice.

Reply to
bridger

I was thinking along similar lines. How could the new group have any impact on this group? As far as I'm concerned, I'll extend my best wishes for success in her endeavor and drop in on both groups to contribute and/or learn. Whatever happened to 'live and let live'?

gregg

Reply to
gregg

You definitely need to DAGS on her name as well as Vito Kuhn. Their interest is in splitting the rec, not joining. They tried having their own group formed and lost due to fraud in the voting process. If you read some of their posts, you'll detect the holier than thou odor. Oh hell, DAGS and all will be made clear.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Thank you but no. I prefer to socialize with adults.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yup. Tons of it. Susan and - what's his name - Leo or Leon or something - wandered in here, pronounced us unfit, and blundered through several iterations of telling us what was good for us, except that they never came here to make their case, they just tried to come up with groups to save us from ourselves. In the process, forged emails, massive vote fraud, and continued absence of building support here ensued. Whazzizname actually has a place on the net.kooks hall of shame as a result of those, and his subsequent, actions.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Could you also announce to the new group that this group exists also?

Reply to
Leon

Limiting it to the minimal propagation of a bogus new top level hierarchy is even more limiting. You can of course create any usenet group or hierarchy you want, but if you don't play by the big boys' rules, then it won't propagate past your own server.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't forget alt.kooks too, because that's where all the crossposts will be coming from.

I'd like to read fam.circle or whatever it's called, but I don't think I'd like the torrent of foul language it will be. And it will be.

Reply to
Andy Dingley