New Woodworker

Page 3 of 4
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Like this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/284.jpg
Circa 1540, shortly before Sears put the "craft" in "Craftsman", thereby giving him NO excuse whatsoever for blaming his tools?
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

1540.... is that a SleepNumber?
=0)

Versailles? Nice place, but a triffle gaudy.
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

Chateau de Chenonceau ... but the same applies. Things probably smelled so bad as a rule that "gaudy" was a relief.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Exactly true. You can take a skilled woodworker, give them crap tools and they'll still make good projects, but you can't take a new woodworker, stick them in Norm's shop, and have them make anything but crap. Tools don't make the man, the man makes the tools.
On Apr 7, 2:06 pm, Brian Henderson

Now take that 'man makes the the tools' and give him good ones. THAT was MY point.

It'll just make it easier, it won't make the work better. Try again.
And he'll do things faster than he did before. So, speed is what you're after?

No, he'll just do it faster.

CW wrote:
> No, he'll just do it faster.
Not really.
It has long been established that human beings do a lousy job with repetitive tasks, that's why automation, thus tooling.
Basic advantage of the human is a brain.
Biggest problem is getting them to use it.
Lew
Sure he will. I can turn out a fine piece of work with a file. I can do it faster with a milling machine. I can do it even faster with a CNC mill. Each tool is more expensive and sophisticated than the former. For a single piece, the only advantage of one over another is speed.

I might have missed it but I haven't seen "frustration" mentioned. I hated messing with the fence on my Craftsman table saw. I was never satisfied with the cut of cheap saw blades. I cursed drill chucks that were off center. I went through three motors on a new Craftsman radial arm saw in order to get one with tolerable runout. An upgrade in quality can mean the difference between frustration and enjoyment. BTDT
Max
snipped-for-privacy@earthl.net says...

Accuracy and the resulting motivation are major advantages. I too, could, theoretically, get the same accuracy with a file, but I wouldn't have the patience to see the project through to completion, rendering the comparison moot.

CW wrote:

I've seen lots of times when the manual guy was done before the program could be written for an operation ... much less fixtured, setup and run.
At 'Quantity One', the math gets very uncertain because you are always making the first piece.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew You're on a roll today!
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

You're wrong. Human beings make errors. Quality tools for the most part contribute to minimizing those errors. A lower quality tool takes extra care to get it to work properly and humans being the imperfect beings they are will sometimes neglect or fail to take that extra care that a higher quality tool doesn't need.

One other thing the original poster mentioned, that his son was considering a sliding miter saw. In my not-so-humble opinion, these are not best choice for woodworking. They're great if you are doing general carpentry. However, the ones that I've used (Dewalt, Makita) are not as accurate as a standard compound miter saw. I suspect all SCMS's are inherently less accurate than CMS's due to all the extra linkages. Also, considering the large, awkward footprint and double the cost I would get a standard CMS and spend the saved $$$ on something with more utility.
What you say about the fence is true. I had a Craftsman saw for years with a less than good fence. Could do good work with it, just had to be careful. Makes you appreciate a nice one when you get it.

is

But why bother? Just for toy value?
Because that's what I had. It would seem that, by your logic, I should have just resigned myself to doing crapy work as my tools were not top of the line. Glad I don't think like you (and so is my boss).
wrote:

with a

careful.