New DIY show

Page 1 of 2

Caught a new show on DIY - "Freeform Woodworking". Hosted by a young gal and boy does she have the the TOOLS! A huge disk sander, a Delta TS, Jet 16" bandsaw (could be 18"), drill press, Festo circ saw, sander, guides, a metal cutting bandsaw - also Jet - and a sandblaster!
She was making a CD holder. I thought I'd be interested in it, but she started to use stuff I'd never own and to be honest, I didn't like the finished results.
Anyone catch it? What do you think?
Here's a link:
http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dfff/0,2499,DIY_23296,00.html
MJ Wallace
Ooops - it's Freeform Furniture - not Freeform Woodworking,
sorry!
MJ

I happened to catch that episode last night as well. I agree, she has some nice tools, but I wasn't nuts about how she assembled that particular project. How about you?
I do like the contemporary flair she seems to have (which is a refreshing change from some of the other legacy shows out there). I'll be giving this show a chance...
-m
I looked ahead in the showguide on the website. Perhaps the other projects will be more interesting. She has appeared on other DIY shows - I think she was one of the lead carpenters/furnituremakers for one of the makeover shows.
I was with her until she did the brackets. I think something else would have been better then aluminium. Perhaps stainless?
I'll stay tuned and see what happens. With Norm pretty much gone from HGTV and DIY and Dave Marks in re-runs, she's about it for now? Wondering if they are pitching this show more towards women?
MJ Wallace

More like Political correctness. Women in "non-traditional" occupations. Sort of like why most of the talking head professors on History channel show yesterday were female.

the rigor mortis of gender roles. I think it's a good thing.
I see no inherent reason that one gender would produce superior woodworkers than the other.
I agree with the sentiment about gender roles. The only thing I was questioning was this show being pitched to women?
DIY seems to have a male/female sense of shows. Lots of jewelery making, scrapbook making, then on the other hand - rebuilding classic cars, RC Hobbies and the best show, in there lineup - Warehouse Warriers - tho they haven't seem to have filmed any new shows in quite sometime.
This new show seems to be short on techniques and more on "let's just get this done".
So.. I'm all for women furniture makers, tho I'd like see more of the kind that are featured in Fine Woodworking or Woodworks magazine.
MJ Wallace

I agree...I would have made my same comments had the host been male. Gender of the craftsperson makes no difference to me. If you're good, you're good.
-m

Sorry, guess "the movement" has made a lot of weenies out of formerly thinking men.
These are paid actors. Dollars to dogturds they have nothing in their background in the way of tool sense. They were chosen because of their gender, not in spite of it.
Wonderful book called _The Language Police_ explains how it's done in textbooks. Too obvious in advertising to even bear mention.
"George" wrote in message

Actually, it's generally much more specific than that. Anatomical features play a big part ... the bigger (the parts), the better.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05
George wrote:

I haven't seen the show, but, from her website (www.amydevers.com) - sorry, no direct link because it's needlessly Flash-heavy:
She..obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree with an emphasis in furniture design from San Diego State Univeristy, and has completed her Master of Fine Arts degree in the field of funiture design at the Rhode Island School of Design.
A fine artist as well as designer, she has exhibited internationally in galleries and museums.
In addition to her artwork, she is currently operating a freelance design/build studio on Los Angeles and...is also preparing to launch her own modern furniture design show on [DIY].
She may not have much in the way of tool sense - and may be much too "artsy" for most of us here, choosing design flair over solid construction. Without having seen her work at all, she may be one of those "wood artist" type people who are in fact wholly unconcerned about construction details and are perfectly happy putting L-angle-brackets on the backsides of everything if it meets their design from the front. Or, she may not be, I can't tell from her website.
Presumably her gender (and looks) has had something to do with her being on TV. But I wouldn't say it's fair to characterize her as a wholly affirmitive action hire who has no knowledge of wood or tools outside of television. Further, it looks like her specialty is in furniture design (heck, she has a BA and Masters in it, so she's spent a lot more time thinking about it than I have), and, from the show description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture, not the *construction* of furniture.
Anyway, I haven't seen the show, and it may or may not be any good (and may or may not be the sort of thing you or I would like). But it does seem like she has qualifications quite beyond "actress."
-BAT
On 18 Oct 2005 07:19:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

none of that matters. BAT, the fact that you would even consider defending her is proof (according to george) that your dick is too small.

Still uneasy in locker rooms, are we? It's a law, you know, that if there are two men in a locker room, their lockers will be side by side.
Sounds to me as if they found someone with a good background to do the peripatetic Vila routine, remains to be seen if the producers searched out someone who was a woman and schooled, or someone who was schooled and a woman. Or if they made their choice because they wanted a particular demographic, or because they wanted a particular design emphasis.
Until I see her swing a hammer, I'll continue to believe that she was chosen more for gender than appeal to an audience which is predominantly male, even if some of those males go out of their way to tell us how unbiased they are.
I still remember early Jo-Ann on Hometime. Sure couldn't swing a hammer. Speaking of which, what do you think of the new distaff member?

remember, 90% of everything is crap. in the case of television, that is probably closer to 99.9%.

or if her uncle happens to be a television executive.

hammer swinging is a requirement for furniture design?
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in

Including this reference. While it is often repeated as you have it above, the actual quote is : "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
George:

I'd assume you mean Miriam? She's young, can talk clearly, interested in what's going on (or so it seems). She's no Robin or Jojo, but the show has shifted. Use to be that Dean had a "TV" wife (Jojo, Robin) and the two of them would do the renovation. I always thought that Hometime was the more "authentic" show over TOH after TOH went for more major remodeling and Dean and whoever did a lot more work then Steve and/or Norm. Now Hometime is doing this style of show where they interview the homeowner during the process. Kinda not interesting at all. Less is shown of the actual process and more highlighting of specific products. Oh, and about 3 years ago, it seems that HomeDepot became a major underwriter because the show hosts spend a LOT of time in the stores!
MJ Wallace
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That certainly explains how Nahrm got his show...
--

FF

What? You don't think Norm is kinda cut with his beard and suspenders on his pants?
----and, from the show description it looks like the point of it is the *design* of furniture,
not the *construction* of furniture. ----
As someone who enjoy's designing my own projects instead of using preprinted plans I have come to learn that you can't disregard or diminish the importance of construction materials and methods during the design process.

of course, ultimately they go together. time was when furniture was designed by craftsmen and architects _were_ builders. modern society is more specialized, for better or worse.
most of us are stronger in one area than the other, and approach what we do from that perspective. there are things to be learned everywhere. it's interesting and useful to have teachers who tend strongly in one direction or the other, either towards or away from our own tendency.
add to that the pressure on television producers to take things to extremes to give their shows an identifying character, and you get things like the instant makeover shows, where you just know that when the cameras are gone the owner will have to gut the place and spend a bunch of money to make it useable again.
but there is plenty of room for a woodworking show with an emphasis on design. that is, assuming that the designs are any good....
and hey, there's plenty of room for woodworking shows with female hosts. the parameters determining whether or not the show survive will be different from those for a show with a male host, but that's TV for you... and human nature, I guess.
I for one wish her luck.