Woodworking Show

The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall, is it worth it to go?

Reply to
Meanie

If you haven't been before it is probably worth a visit. It is a bit pricey (to some) I dunno maybe $15 or something. But not way out of line. Just be careful, some venues have like $20 parking also.

You will see several big companies sort of like a traveling woodcraft (Peac htree) and they usually have a few good deals. Maybe a few vendors like Del ta or Steel City but not like at AWFS or something. Maybe see a few of the invention guys with weird lathe attachments or cool cross cut sleds and cla mps, etc. Look for what "seminars" are offered and sometimes you can get so me good info on a finish technique or router tips. Probably worth more than seeing the booths if you get a few good ones.

Never seen one that would take me more than 2 hours to be done unless the s eminars were good.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That's a pretty good summary. A couple of hours is good. We then go to lunch and I drop by Woodcraft, Rockler, and Highland on the way back. ;-) One year I got a really good deal on a JessEm Mast-R-Fence and Mite-R-Slide (about 80% off, though they're blue rather than red ;-).

Reply to
krw

I received a WoodWorking flier/brochure in the mail which listed sponsors such as Bosch, Powermatic, Jet, Lee Valley. Also stated instructors as Jim Heavy, Andy Chidwick, Roland Johnson. Don't know any of them...lol.

The costis $10 but if I show the flyer, it's $2 off. Parking is $5 at the venue. It's where many big shows take place.

Reply to
Meanie

They're not nearly as good as they once were. Depending on who shows up, Peachtree can end up being 1/2 the show which is sort of lame. If you haven't kept up with all the new things on the market it's a good show to see a lot of that. If you keep up with things on the internet, already, you're going to be saying, "yep, saw that.... saw that... saw that..." in your head a lot.

It *is* a great place to save a bunch of money if you're needing to stock up on things, buy a lot of new things, or you've been looking for an excuse to get some big ticket items. They show prices can be very, very good, mostly because a lot of vendors have to ship things to the venues and it's cheaper for them to sell it at cost than ship it back.

You can spend a bunch of money on fancy crap that will sit on your shop and collect dust. But you can also spend and save a bunch of money on things you wish you had, know you will use, and have been looking for a good excuse to buy.

Look for coupons on the internet for ticket discounts and free parking. Or look around for somewhere off site to park, walk, buy your stuff, let them watch it while you go get the car to load it up.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think if you're smart you attend with a "shopping list" in mind. Impulse purchases are usually not as good as the ones you make after "doing your homework" (making comparisons, etc.) Lee Valley will give you free shipping on things you order at the show, I believe (at least they did a year ago).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That's mostly because you are now a much better, and more experienced and knowledgeable woodworker than you were the first time you went to one.

Kind of like going to that ho house the first time. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Unfortunately that has become the norm, or maybe we just skip the ones we recognize and are no long interested in seeing.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's i recall seeing shows in Houston that were big enough that you might miss something if you did not spend all day.

I recall many many booths selling single tools. Like the router ringer tool that would let you make a bowl with a router from a single square piece of wood. The solid steel router tables that operated like the Multirouter. Remember the guy selling the Zyless vice? ;~) And many many more.

Reply to
Leon

And to add one more thing, RESIST buying a set of BAD DOG drill bits. These guys could be selling water out of a bucket, you supply the container to take your water home. The water would probably be more useful than their carbide tipped drill bits.

Yeah I fell for the pitch and bought the drill bits a few years ago. I took them back the following day after the bits failed miserably to drill through soft steel and broke.

Reply to
Leon

I've got a knock off vise of that vise.. Bought it at a garage sale with all these doodads.. I paid $5 and love it. I have used it for a few things, not many, but it has paid for itself at that price.. Can't see spending the $300 that Zyless wanted.

Reply to
woodchucker

Jeez was it $300??? I bought mine at the show, early 80's and would not have paid that much. Probably paid a little over $100.

I still use mine on occasion. It is one of those dust collectors but does get used much more than the friggin PC detail sander, model 444, that is no longer available new.

Reply to
Leon

There's a lot of truth to that, except... using your comparison.... In this case there are a lot fewer hoes from which to choose and they all seem to be offering the same thing. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Sure, but a lot of the stuff you'd never think to put on your list. I rarely buy much at the shows (save it for the stores later) but there are always new (strange) and wonderful things that I wouldn't have thought about, or real deals on stuff that I wouldn't normally have bought. How many kids make a shopping list to go to a toy store? ;-)

Reply to
krw

...and have enough stuff collecting dust.

No experience. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That's a good analogy! When my siblings and I were children, my parents asked us to make a list of what we would like for Christmas, us pretty much aware that we might get 1 thing on the list (if it was safe enough, etc.)

Reply to
Bill

You have the Lee Valley & Veritas catalog right? It's all in there..you don't even need to leave home.

Reply to
Bill

That's a little different. I have a (mental) list of tools I want to buy. When I'm in the toy store I might buy one but if something is on sale, I'll reprioritization, on the spot. ;-) Too bad Festools never move up the list. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Believe it or not, there isn't much in there that I really want. I don't see any "real deals" there, either.

Reply to
krw

What are these "strange and wonderful things" to which you refer then? A Powermatic 12" jointer?

Reply to
Bill

I agree. Occasionally, I will buy one of the tools from the new products list. If I go to Lee Valley Tools, it's almost always to buy a specific tool or item I need to use on a project ~ and I always go with a list of what I want.

Buying on the spur of the moment is very irregular for me when I'm shopping at LV.

Reply to
none