Woodworking Show

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago. A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw, jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock rifle.

Unlike Leon, I enjoy the shows at the Katy civic center. It's much smaller than Reliant, but not nearly the hassle to get into and out of, plus parking was free and not $15. A difference I note with the change in venue is that it seems the show is a bit more oriented toward the hobbyist. I now have all the "big iron" I need for the rest of my life (except for a 15" planer) and have zero interest in laser carving machines or those you feed a tree in one end and get a chair out the other. Someone who makes their living working wood might differ. I certainly enjoyed the hand tool seminars they have provided the last couple of years, and have improved my techniques from what I learned.

Would I go if it was back at Reliant? Sure, especially if it would be a large enough venue to convince Lee Valley to attend. And if they could schedule it the same weekend as the Houston Gun Collectors show, that would be a great, but very expensive weekend for me.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

So Roy, where do you live?

Reply to
Leon

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know my old bandmate in a number of bands, hunting buddy, gunsmith, builder of firearms to Presidents, and longtime friend Chris Hirsch?

Swingman

Richmond. I take the Grand Parkway to I-10 to get to the Katy location, or come in on 90A to get dumped off near the Dome. Just about the same distance to either location, just a lot less traffic hassles to Katy, and no toy trains to run into me.

BTW, I mostly just lurk here and go for months without posting, but I want to tell you how much I enjoy the posts and pictures you and Swing put up about your builds. For example, I finally unearthed my CS, and plan to make a cabinet similar to the one you have on your Jet (posted last March). It seems like I always learn a little something in those discussion threads, and just wanted to say thanks for all the posts and sharing from you guys before I go back into lurk mode.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I hear you on the trains! LOL

You should stop by some time, I live in Parkway Lakes, basically at Grand Parkway and Bellaire, a mile south of the West Park toll road.

Reply to
Leon

Be careful, Roy ... Leon is an internet Fest(ool)ifile. Once you meet Leon you will forever have to have a firm grasp on your wallet.

;)

Reply to
Swingman

I bought that particular flinter from a dealer from Indiana However, I am the proud owner of the only cherry stocked rifle Chris ever built. He found out he was allergic to cherry during the build and said he would never work with it again. The rifle is an early 19th century Virginia poor boy he styled from one he owned.

His Golden Age rifles are truly works of art. I've admired several that have passed through Collector's Firearms over the years, but never when I could afford to acquire one. I have the American Rifleman issue showing him presenting one of his NRA rifles to President Reagan on the cover. He is a very talented and gifted man.

Reply to
Roy

Did Chris ever tell you the story about how mortified he was, standing in the Oval Office, when Reagan threw that rifle up to his _left_ shoulder? :)

AAMOF, talked to Chris yesterday. About 30 years ago I'd loaned him my truck to tide him over while he was waiting on delivery for one he'd bought, and it turned out to be an extended wait. He called because he'd heard I was having truck trouble, was looking for a newer one, and he wanted to return that old favor if I was in need. I wasn't, but good folks are like that.

Reply to
Swingman

Probably playing with his head. ;-) Reagan was ambidextrous (leaning left ;-).

Reply to
krw