New Woodworking Show / Public TV / Tommy Mac

Boston's public TV station, WGBH, is going to start a new show. With enough interest, other PBS stations should pick it up.

Cut=97Woodworking with Tommy Mac The series invites viewers into the workshop of Boston native and fine furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, a graduate of the famed Boston-based North Bennet Street School.

Thirteen innovative episodes follow Tommy as he travels to historical New England landmarks to gain design inspiration, then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques it takes to create comprehensive woodworking projects

Reply to
Kimosabe

It actually started about three weeks ago on WGBH, Tommy seems to need a bit more coaching in how to present the material, for the most part it is pretty dry, and I find I am losing interest.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

When you work with wood it's supposed to be dry.

RicodJour

Given the thread, I think you meant to say: Okay guys, when you work with wood it's supposed to be dry. Right, Eli?

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Not unlike the New Yankee Workshop when that started... though perhaps at a higher skill level.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I met Tommy this weekend at the Woodcraft Hawaii store woodshow. He's very nice, genuine, and enthusiastic. Scott Phillips was there as well as Rob Cosman.

Reply to
GeneT

I watched my first last night. He built an inlaid lazy susan. I have no real interest in building a lazy susan, but I learned several new techniques. So I'll keep watching. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

with the workshop gone it is better than nothing. He is kind of annoying

Len

Reply to
lennn99

I met them at their shop, near Boston. My impressions of the guy were similar to yours.

I also think this sort of show is inherently good for woodworking.

Don't be afraid to give him feedback, on the show's website (you can Google it, by "rough cut" and "suggestion box."

They genuinely WANT to meed the needs of their audience.

Reply to
Neil Brooks