DIY show formats

I had occasion to contrast Norm and Paul Bradburn (Cutting Edge Woodworking?) not long ago and I made an observation. These kinds of shown need directors who know a lot about the subject.

To begin with, Bradburn has a personality (OK, it's kind of "cutesy" but it's there) whereas Norm rather struggles in that department.

The main point is that after watching 1/2 hour of Paul I often didn't have a feel for what he'd done or how he'd done it. With the same 1/2 hour, however, (and sometimes more complicated projects) Norm leaves you with a reasonably good idea of what to do and, as importantly, HOW.

Personally I think it's down to the director and the editor. Knowing what to highlight is most of the battle. I still can't put my finger on why Bradburn doesn't click.

The less said about David Free the better. The Monotone Chippy would put anyone to sleep.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I'd love to see them show at least a few outtakes of any messups Norm did just to show he's mortal.

Reply to
astutesolutions

As far as I know its just Norm and a cameraman that make that show. check his website. it tells you all.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

I think Morash, the show producer works as the director also. You can see him on the shop webcam from time to time while they're filming.

Reply to
booger

There is a "backup" guy who tunes equipment and does cleanup. He does not do any woodworking. The vast majority of the show is just Norm, camera guy, and Russ Morash, the director.

Doug Schultz wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

On the NYW web site Norm claims that as they always do a prototype mistakes during filming are rare.

I suspect that they didn't do a full prototype for things like the Gazeebo or the greenhouse but they probably did for the main sub assemblies.

There is one 'mistake' I have seen and that is on the fancy wine rack he built. The first time he tried to bend the wood round the curved end it snaps and he has to start again.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker