Need a mitre saw, Some advice please

Thinking about getting a mitre saw to do all those repetitive cuts that crop up from time to time.

Several things I need to consider the first being cost. Idealy no more than =A350 but you get what you pay for and I can go up to =A3100. Secondly size, This is because I live in a small flat with limited storage plus I like it to be easily portable. Adaptability, Because I'd like to make a portable workstaion for it. Finally some sort of dust collection system, either bag or just connecting it to the Henry shop vac.

Seen some around at my local hardware superstore and online and I just need some advice as to what to go for.

Many Thanks

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

Nothing at that price is going to be up to much. You seem to be in the UK, so have a look at the top of the range Pro sliding mitre saw from B&Q. £100-ish IIRC.

Reply to
deadlock

well, nothing at that price will be very big or powerful or versatile

Or my preference would be

see a £50 budget gives you a choice of one, £100 a choice of three. You will want a sliding saw if you can get one. For most people a simple swivelling saw is sufficient and the tilting (compound mitre) function is unecessary.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Several things I need to consider the first being cost. Idealy no more than £50 but you get what you pay for and I can go up to £100. Secondly size, This is because I live in a small flat with limited storage plus I like it to be easily portable. Adaptability, Because I'd like to make a portable workstaion for it. Finally some sort of dust collection system, either bag or just connecting it to the Henry shop vac.

Seen some around at my local hardware superstore and online and I just need some advice as to what to go for.

Many Thanks

TR

There is something to be said for starting with a basic saw and seeing how your needs develop. You may never need the sliding capabilities. I, for one, waited until I could afford the saw that "I really wanted" with "everything I need". Guess what? Thirty years passed and I now have grandkids and I'm just starting to get my shop together. I made do with a Shopsmith multi-purpose machine through all of those years but I sure lost a lot of time and experience. Buy a quality, low feature saw and you will be better off than buying some off-brand with more features but it may not hold square. Good luck!

Reply to
C & E

Don't know if DeWalt is available to you but I bought a 10 inch basic mitre saw about two years ago and have been extremely happy with it. No laser or slinding feature but I have not needed either. It has a dust collection bag, and a brake that engages as soon as you let up off the trigger. And it cuts like a breeze. I carry mine back and forth from it's storage shelf to a work table and it is pretty easy.

Good luck and enjoy the new saw.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Hi Ron,

DeWalt is available to me. Do you happen to have the model?

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

Save your money. Get a SEARS chopsaw. You only need the sliding version if you are chopping large 5"+ boards. Or you can go for the 12" model to cover up to 2x6"

As with any tool decision, your reason(s) for the purchase impact upon the recommended choice. Although referred to as Miter Saws, they are not the best for fine miters (picture framing, etc.) .

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

my little delta 250 10" was $100USD, and it's done ok, it's limited, but the price was right, and it's lite enough to move easally. I wouldn't go any smaller then a 10" also get the compound mitter vs just a mitter saw.

Reply to
Richard Clements