Mitre Gauge:Is this Normal?

With my GI 50-185 came a CI mitre gauge. Now i'm maybe being paranoid, but will the cast iron mitre gauge scratch the surface of the nice new top, or is there an adjustment that I need to make so that the bottom of the gauge doesnt ride directly on the table top. I have searched through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the hardest one to handle?

Rick

Reply to
RampRat

Perhaps those little felty feet stick ons are in order? (joke)

Or LV slippery tape? If it really is a concern.

John

RampRat wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Dunno, I haven't looked at that many different makes and models of miter gauges, but both of the ones I've had have had white plastic slippery stuff set into the bottom.

As someone suggested, LV slippery tape might fit the bill here.

Reply to
Silvan

Most of the old type have thick enough bars to keep the scratch to optically significant only. I bought one of those hold-down cheapies that had little nylon feet on the arc. Push to shove, I'd go with some of the tape, or see if you can't find a place for two untapped holes and skid buttons.

Nice moniker. Flightline maintenance?

Reply to
George

take a bit of 400 grit sandpaper and knock off the edges and any burrs where it slides on the table. then give it a coat of paste wax. then use it.

Reply to
bridger

Hi, when I got my new Griz. cabinet saw, didn't like the miter guage that came with the saw, so went to Woodcraft and bought a Incra 1000SE miter guage. Haven't looked back.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

IAW CW, carefully file any burred edges. I'd think twice about putting tape underneath, if not done evenly, you *may* put the face very slightly off-square to the surface (I am not aware how thick the tape is).

Reply to
Greg Millen

Thank for all the advise. Looks like a can of paste wax is something invaluable in any woodshop. There are a few rough edges that need to be filed down. I'll finish it off with the sandpaper and some wax. Rockler sells the tape as well as LV so I may take a look and see if it's sold locally. I'll try to tone down my gloat here, but I am very impressed with the fit and finish of this TS. Even SWMBO can't resist running her hands across the smooth top. Rick

Reply to
RampRat