Incra Mitre Gauge

I am looking at the ads, I like what I see and am thinking of buying one. Can anyone tell me 1. Are they worth the money? and 2. what size slot do I need on my table saw? I have a Bosch GTS 10 Gary

Reply to
Gary Dean

Mine's the 3000 model. It is a great addition to the workshop. I have fewer excuses now to screw up. Source: woodpeck.com

Contact them for size you need.

I went through the same dilemma less than a month ago. I almost bought an Incra but went with an Osborne EB-3 from Lee Valley instead. While the Inra may be very nice, I don't regret my decision at all. I based the decision mostly on this guy's website which I find to be full of good info. Here it is if you want it - it has a review on both the Incra and the Osborne.

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

I started out with the Osborne EB-3 and thought is was "pretty good", but definitely not "great". The materials they used for the miter bar were junk and the slop adjustment was very poorly thought out (you tighten down an allen screw, which causes the bottom of the bar - not sure what the bar is made of, plastic? - to expand). That, and whenever I did crosscuts of greater than about 30" the cuts sometimes flexed the fence.

So, I switched to an JDS Accumiter and the thing is rock solid. It loses a little bit of the flexibility of the Osborne (mainly the EB-3 wins on ease of switching the fence from one side of the blade to the other, but that's the only thing). The accuracy, repeatability and overall build quality far exceed the Osborne miter gauge.

Just yesterday I received the Incra V-27 that I bought from woodpeckers. I just wanted a good, accurate and low priced gauge to use for cut off operations where I need a sacrificial fence. Mainly for mitering picture frame parts, mitered box and drawer sides, etc. I haven't used it yet, but it definitely looks like a good deal for the money.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Hi, I have the Incra 1000SE, that I bought at WC. To use on my now burnt out Delta 36-600 table saw, which I'm looking for a replacement for. I love the Incra....

Reply to
Tony

I too have the Incra 1000SE. I found it easy to set up, adjust, etc. (Got it for Christmas last year from SWMBO.) I believe it was on sale at the time -10% off- at Woodcraft. I get WC's monthly flyer and I believe the 1000SE goes on sale once or twice per year.

by the way, I have an older (circa 1953-4) Craftsman 10" contractor's saw and it has the narrow miter slot. The Incra fit fine with only minor tweaking of the screw adjusters in the miter bar.

Do I like it or not? Yes! I do like itand it is 1000 times better than what I had but I am a novice and I haven't had experience with orther systems.

Cost was on target and I read a review of aftermarket miter guages in one of the woodworking books (can't remember which one) and the reviewer liked the Incra 1000SE for a basic m-gauge - if I remember correctly. Luck

Reply to
MHaseltine

I don't know what that dude is smokin but I have both the 1000 and 2000 and I'll disagree with about 95% of what he say's about the Incra's. Plastic on the 2000??? Must be a version earlier than mine and I got one of the first after they hit the market in CNY.

I have the old style Stop and the new Incra's all come with the (optional) Flip Stop now as I recall. I have a mix of both the new and old style fences (18, 24", 36 and 54") plus the Flip Stop and use them equally between the two models.

Don't base your buying decision on that review alone. It's outdated and there are others like FWW and AW, plus some others that have reviewed all these miter gauges. The Incra's are good / excellent and I would buy them again if I had to (they've gotten better with each iteration). I doubt you will find a miter gauge that is any more sturdy than the 2000 model. Put a

54" fence on that and push a large, long panel or wide board thru and you will then appreciate the heft and sturdiness of that model.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.