metal tool chest. liners?

Yeah, I know. Wooden chests are better, but I got this one free. Large, 24 x 36 x 18" tall. Should be big enough to house my hand tool kit, including the planes that seem to have bred over the past years. Only hazard I forsee is condensation; can this be prevented with a 1/4" plywood or carpet liner, walls and floor, or should I use the box to store plumbing fittings and build a "proper" plywood chest?

If humidity is a problem, a wooden tool box is no better than a steel box. The condensation will still accumulate on the steel tools and only if there is a relatively quick and large temperature change. Condensation is caused by introducing a cold object to a warm humid environment.

I've been keeping hand tools in metal "Craftsman" type chests for years with no problem... even in the States, when they were in a garage with a washer and dryer nearby..
If you have a condensation problem, then as Leon said, what the drawers are made of isn't going to matter much..
If you want to buy a little piece of mind, these are available:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pS828&cat=1,43326
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I agree with the others, but to soften the bottoms of the drawers I use shelf liner. Not the paper type but the foam type that looks like mesh. Its alot less expensive than going to sears and buying tool box drawer liners...Contact brand call it "Grip Liner".
--
Rich Harris

"Ferd Farkel" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Already got the carpet, saved from a job. 1/2" plush, nice and gentle on razor sharp irons so I don't have to retract them before stowing the planes. Spray on a bit of WD40 and it'll fumigate the chest.