O/T: The Undocumented

As you can imagine, the subject is a very hot topic here in SoCal.

Many undocumented harvest our vegetables, clean our tables, build our houses, etc, etc.

On one side of the discussion are those who point out the fallacy of attempting to round up and deport the undocumented.

(Who will harvest the crops, help build the houses, etc.)

On the other side are those who call the undocumented identity thieves who should be sent packing as quickly as possible.

As an observer of this discussion, you notice that the law and order group consists almost exclusively of middle aged white guys

The other side is composed of a college of male, female, white, Hispanic and others and of all age groups.

IMHO, the bottom line is................................

Whitey is running scared.

A few more years and Whitey will no longer be in the majority and they simply don't know how to deal with the coming reality.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't think the issue is racial as much as it is the loss of national identity. We need to do something to get rid of the undocumented aliens and keep our laws intact. I have no objection to legal immigrants of whatever flavor, but the illegal ones are criminals by definition. I agree that it would cause problems in the labor force, but that would work itself out in a short time. I think the short term solution may be as simple as disallowing any sort of social service rights to undocumented aliens. In other words no free/subsidized medical care, no unemployment rights, no schools, no citizens rights of any kind. That along with a aggressive policy of fining anyone caught employing or offering other services to illegal aliens would slow the inflow of undocumented aliens. We also need to take a hard look at out immigration policy and our border security. Something is wrong there on both sides of the question.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

"sweet sawdust" wrote

Way too specific ... we need to get much more basic: Execute those who violate public trust while in office, and prohibit any one who attends a law school from holding public office.

Reply to
Swingman

But that would give us Government of the people by the people and for the people. Totaly an UNamerican idea.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

national

I have to question the term "national identity".

What does it mean?

As an American, you are by definition a "mutt".

I think the recently elected Mexican president has a pretty clear vision of the problem.

As he says, capital needs labor.

The US has capital, Mexico has labor.

The attraction of capital and labor is no less strong than the attraction of the sexes.

Both ultimately involve survival.

aliens. In

rights, no

There is not free lunch.

Take you pick.

1) Continue having low cost food stuffs picked by undocumented workers which are then subsidized by the hidden cost of providing social services to these workers.

Basic problem is that the locals pay for the social service while the entire population benefits from low cost food stuffs.

We are beginning to realize this approach will not work over the long term.

The other approach is to develop a system which allows for the regulated flow of labor into as well as out of the country.

The farmers who need the laror are scared of more inefficient government controls being forced on them if a system is developed, so they oppose it.

Frankly, if Homeland Security is an example of what might happen, they have every right to be scared.

The Chicken Little approach to border safety offered by Homeland Security is little more than a bloated bureau's attemt at protecting it's turf.

The concept of border protection has changed drastically in the last

10 years.

Today's terroist no longer has to physically enter the country to create havoc.

They can comfortably sit at some keyboard, any place in the world, and attack our communication infrastructure at will.

Why would they waste time trying to cross miles of hostile SW desert, when they can stay home?

WWII showed the USA that it was not isolated from the rest of the world.

The internet is showing us that it is not even necessary to enter the country to attack the USA.

As Dillon sang, "Times, they are a changing".

Worker immigration and border security are both major issues.

Mixed in with both issues is the illegal drug traffic.

None of these issues will be solved until the people develop the will to solve them.

Right now, the entire country has it's collective head where the moon doesn't shine in hopes the problems will go away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett