making a wood clock that looks like a football helmet

I have a great idea of making a clock for our football coach that looks like our football helmet. I have never made a clock. I so far have determined that I want the clock to be at least 36" in diameter. The shape of the helmet would be cut from a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.

and looked at the clock parts that they have. I do not know what size of mechanism that I need, what size number, or hands! Is there a rule to follow? The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help. Thanks
Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 5:20pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com claims: <snip> The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help. Thanks
Make your own.
JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED. - Death
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

For a clock that large I suggest a high torque movement and balanced hands. I doubt if you'll find anything like that at Michael's.
Take a look at Klockit's web site: http://www.klockit.com /
In particular see an example of the balanced hands at: http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-5__sku-66764.html
and the high torque movement at: http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-AAAAG.html
You should be able to find other on-line vendors of "clock making supplies" by doing a Google search.

I'm thinking I'd use a real helmet for this.
Thanks for all the advise, it has really helped.