Made a few doors yesterday... *pics*

Dear All,

I was asked by a router bit company to make some sample doors for them for the Hardware show starting in Toronto this weekend and for the Woodworking show at the end of February. I was asked to make two samples of each set, one glued up and one glued at only two of the four corners. I was given eight rail and stile sets of various configurations. Ogee, Cove, Quarter round, mini's, w/backcutters, etc., 24 bit changes and set-ups.

one real PITA was the lock mitre samples, 10 sets each for 5/8" and

3/4". I had never set up a lock mitre bit before, and doing so without instructions was a bit of a challenge. I got it with about 5 test cuts for the two sizes of bits, but it was harder than I thought. The 10 sample sets for a drawer lock bit were certainly easier. (piles of boards on the right)

doors turned out nicely, and I now own almost every possible profile...

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

and stiles. When assembling these samples, do they slide together or do they essentially 'snap' together. The reason I'm asking is that I've never handled a lock and mitre set.

Reply to
Upscale

You are the human embodiment of perpetual suckage.

Reply to
Swingman

Gentlemen - did you miss the Lock Miter threads here or in a.b.p.w.?

The Lock Miter Joint is slick - even works for sloped sided boxes/trays and slick for all mitered edges.corners boxes, AND, there's no need to compensate for joinery when figuring out part dimensions. You need a box 3 x 4 x 5 you cut the two sides at 3x5, the front and back at 4x5 and the top and bottom at 3x4.

Depending on what you're making and which edges you cut how, you can either slip the last piece in or "snap it in".

Having a way to control the stock as you route them - one done with the stock vertical and one cut with the stock horizontal - is essential for good results. You can make push fixtures easily and the ones shown here work great (all one line so watch the line wrap)

charlie b

Oh - David - YOU SUCK!

Reply to
charlie b