"Wow, you did that?"

Okay ladies and germs, be honest. How many of you have ever heard this uttered from your spouse/parent/child's mouth before? For me, this usually comes at a point in the project when I am feeling like I could have done about five-six things better and that I could never fully appreciate the object in the end. Something about hearing those four little words just puts the wind back into the old sails (and puffs the chest a little to be completely honest).

Chris Mooney

Reply to
Christopher Mooney

Yeh, isn't it great?! If I had only my opinion to go by, I would quit.

Reply to
Toller

You have obviously never had my wife preview a piece. She gets on my case if I don't stain finish and rub out the back of a wall cabinet. Just wait till yours becomes more sophisticated in judging woodworking.

Reply to
Mike G

Toller wrote:

Most of us are our own worst critics. Feels good when you hear those words though. I've made some simple gifts that have been truly appreciated and one reason I do it is for the satisfaction that comes with the giving.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What do you do if she serves both Mexican & Chinese leftovers for dinner?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

well i guess you fart now and then fart again in an hour or so ! lmao......:-]>

Reply to
skeezics

The only response a man can give - Thanks and I enjoyed it!

Reply to
Gary

It's nice to get comments like that - but - most people use what they see in "furniture" stores as their frame of reference. When YOU look at a piece you made and say "I can't believe I made that!" is the kick in the ass befuddled grin experience. Of course YOU will always be aware of what could have been done better or differently but still...

In ignorance, mixed with naive enthusiasm, and a JoinTech Cabinet Maker System router table top and fence, I made a "Modular Wall Hanging Tool Cabinet, with half blind dovetails, piano hinges and a boatload of modules for a sh*t load of handtools (I see toys - make that "tools" - think "that looks like I could use it someday" and get it). Did through and have blind dovetails, finger/box joints, sliding dovetails, dados, rabbets and mitered corners - all in ignorant bliss. The Buble Bee Syndrome - I didn't know, as a newbie, that I wasn't suppose to be able to fly. I called the project "done" after finishing a 3" x 3" x 3", half blind dovetailed mini-drawer to fill the almost full space.

Here's the url for the item in question for those interested

My objective is not to brag or show off - ok maybe a little showing off - rather it's to get folks to try something they may think is "too hard". Being one's own worst critic can keep one improving. Do - crtique - improve - enjoy the trip.

charlie b

(if you checked out the url provided click on the "back to the index" link at the bottom of any page and then check out the OOPS! link. I've put just some of my screw ups out there for all to see, and maybe learn from. There's even some BLOOD!)

for the lazy reader

Reply to
charlie b

JOAT responds:

Been there, done that. One of my aunts one day at a family event wanted to know WHEN I head learned enough to write, IIRC, about 15-20 books on various subjects. I was about 45 then, I think, and she was still recalling the

7-8-9-10-11-12 year old who spent summers with her or one of her siblings.

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Hehe ... sometimes you're the same as you were twenty years ago in some folks mind. Worst profession for this is music. No matter how good you are now, fellow musicians still remember you "back when".

Famous Dude came back to visit his small hometown after 20 years of being on the road, winning Grammies, and generally making the big time. Just as he's leaving after a two week visit, he runs across Joe, an old musician buddy he hasn't seen in twenty years.

Joe says: "How you doing man, haven't seen, or heard about you, in years?"

Famous Dude: "Pretty good, man. I've done pretty well in music and been on a roll lately. AAMOF, my last album went Platinum, just like the four before it".

Joe: "Oh man, I did NOT hear about that ... tell me more."

Famous Dude: "Well dude, I've done pretty well since I've seen you ... played with SRV on his last two albums, sang with Ray Charles, did an album or two with BB, then broke out on my own and managed to pick up a couple of Grammy's, and I just broke into the movie business out in Hollywood"

Joe: "Man, that's good news ... I didn't hear about any of that.. congratulations!"

Famous Dude: "Thanks! Well man, I got to catch a plane to Hollywood to do a movie score for Martin Scorcese. I sure enjoyed coming back and seeing all the old guys we used to play with. AAMOF, I caught them at the old gig at the Dew Drop Inn the other night. They sounded great and it was good to hear them again. Hell, they even asked me to sit in for old time's sake. Dude, it was fun ... I had real good time, even though I was a little rusty after being off for a couple of weeks and missed a couple of the changes on "Satin Doll"

Joe: "Yeah ... I heard about that!"

Reply to
Swingman

Wow, Charlie, you did THAT?????

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Charlie, interesting pages, but the 2nd page on your modular cabinet seems to have some broken links to several of your photos.

You hav given me some ideas about cabinets for my shop, although I wont go into dovetails and such! :)

John

Reply to
JohnT.

I had one guy (who was a carpenter of sorts) come over to my place and I remember how he exclaimed over my entertainment centre how perfect I'd made the butt joints. That felt pretty good. Then he ruined it by examining further and finding the one mistake I'd made in the entire unit. :)

Along the same lines, I got a similar response from a customer when I was working IBM support. Client called in and had five specific questions about his laptop and operating system. I was able to immediately rattle of five complete answers to his questions. As he was hanging up the phone I heard him say to his wife. "Wow, these guys know everything." Happened seven years ago and I still remember how great that felt.

Reply to
Upscale

..and if you hadn't said that, I would be thinking of quitting Real Soon Now.

Every little bit, from either people who do the same thing a lot, or from a child, lights the way-

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

Those 4 little words are usually followed by five more:

"Will you make me one?"

Damn.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Just remember... only YOU know where the "bodies are buried".

Reply to
Don Sforza

LOL great one, thanks

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

Ain't it the truth! I've never done a woodworking, gardening, or model railroad project that I thought was really good. But I've gotten that reaction often enough to keep me going.

I guess if we lost that attitude, we'd really turn out some junk :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Oh, yeah. I made a couple of nice rocking horses for some newborn nephews and nieces out of cherry, walnut, and curly maple. I have one sister-in-law that I think still suspects I either bought it, or maybe had it commissioned ;-)

Compliments like this are nice, but I don't think it pays to take anything too seriously. About the time you think you are getting some skill, you will enter a piece in the local woodworking show. And you'll walk through the entries and notice that you still have a long long way to go. DAMHIKT.

I have an experienced woodworking buddy who says that you should never dwell on the mistakes you make in your own projects, and you should never notice the mistakes that others make in theirs. I think this is good advice.

Cheers, Nate Perkins Ft Collins, CO

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Unless you're judging that show.