Let me try this question here

Have any of you had an occasion to join two 2.0 or 3.0 electric cables together? If so, what did you use to clamp them together with? Some kind of (really, really big) crimper, or a clamp, twist tie (), electrical tape??????

JC

Reply to
JC

If I understand you correctly, a "Split bolt" is probably what you're looking for. There is also one (made of plastic?) that doesn't require wrapping but I have no idea of the name/mfgr.

An electrical supply house is where you want to ask/check to get the best answer for your purpose.

Reply to
Swingman

I've never attempted anything like this. However, I suspect you'll get a better set of answers if you give a little more information on your intended applications. Are you trying to make a whole-house extension cord? Splice a welder cable? Is the connection subject to mechanical stresses? High voltages?

Assuming I'm thinking of the right general kind of cable, asking in a welding group, stagecraft group (think tours with lighting dimmer racks that need to be tied into the house supply), "high-end" car audio group, or electrical supply house--depending upon the application--might be more likely to get good info than rec.woodworking. Enquiring about applicable local electrical codes might also be a good idea.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Go to

and search for "Split-Bolt Connectors" to see a picture. You can order from there, but your local hardware store will probably have them too. Be sure to use copper bolts with copper wire.

Reply to
Bob Kirkpatrick

Thanks, appreciate it.

JC

Reply to
JC

I see it at work all the time, all the way to 4/0, for 48V DC.

I've seen them welded with a special form, crimped to lugs, and connected with a heavy clamp-style bolt.

Any decent electrical house should have some options to show you.

**
**

B A R R Y

Yep, cad welded (thermite) splices, in-line splicer reducers and gutter tap connectors.

Nova

Thanks.

JC

Reply to
JC

Crimpers for this kind of cable are hydraulic; you crimp to a lug, and the lug bolts to a bus bar. My house breaker box is fed with two such crimp/lug/bus connections. I believe crimp couplers are also available, but not common.

If the cables are aluminum, there are electrode pastes and approved crimp terminals for that.

For a simple splice in Cu wires, the split bolt is recommended.

Reply to
whit3rd