Kmart-Sears are ONE

Page 2 of 2

Hax Planks wrote:

Uh, around here the Sears stores are all within a couple of blocks of Borgs, and only one is more than 5 years or so older than the Borgs. And they're _all_ in major malls.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

If "compete on price" means "ask the supplier to degrade the product so we can sell it cheaper", I can think of better ways to compete. They need to do something *better* than the competition, not just copy them.
Hax Planks writes:

IMHO, the purpose of the combination of these businesses is to covert as many of the fixed assets as possible into liquid assets as fast as possible.
Don't think it will take 10 years to liquidate Kmart-Sears.
I still miss the "blue light special".
Lew
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
Interesting. Did you know that recently certain Craftsman products were already being sold by other sources besides Sears? I know MSC sometmes sells Craftsman products on sale, and I've seen them advertised in local newspaper for other retailers, though I can't remember who at the moment.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

... snip

Don't know how long it's going to last (it's too late anyway), but folks who bought into Kmart stock since the reorg have seen a *huge* profit in less than a year. Kmart is now trading around $130. One year ago it was trading at $40. In May 2003, it was $12. I took a look when it first re-issued and said "no way!".
Probably in the long term, the "no way!" attitude was correct -- but for those with the brazos to get in and get out -- that would have been a major win.
I don't know who was the author of this, but it's too good as a description of the merger between K-Mart and Sears:
"Where America Shops" meets "Where America Shoplifts"
Tom Dacon

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050324/ap_on_bi_ge/sears_kmart_merger_1

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050324/ap_on_bi_ge/sears_kmart_merger_1
Shop Smart, shop S-Mart.........