Kick back in the dick

Page 1 of 2
Cross cutting 3/8" x 2" x 18" ply on the TS to get a little 2" x 2 3/4" piece. I used the miter guage to get a square cut but DID NOT do a stop block on the fence as I should have so the cross cut piece binded between the fence and shot me in the dick.
When I started working this morning, I said a little prayer because I was using my shop equipment for construction work around the house. When I am not so worried about precision I somehow also get lax on safety. I needed the cross cut a little item. I had the TS spinning so I just grabbed the miter guage because it was at hand. It is two steps to my miter saw. I didn't setup a stop block as that would require a clamp (3 steps away). The piece was 2 3/4" and I have a rule to always use a hold-down push stick on anything 2" or less but I often use my hand on anything larger.
I am kind of tall and when I stand at the TS my "package" is about 3" above the top of the table. I never realized that until today. When that sucker bound-up and shot at me, it twisted my thumb to the point of making it numb like it had been hit with a hammer. I know it could have easily pulled it into the blade. The 2" x 2 3/4" little piece of ply whacked me right on the head of my d#$%. It dropped me to my knees. I had to go into the bathoroom and check on that little guy and I was 50% sure there would be stitches involved. I started to think about the discussion with the emergency room staff.
Luckily it was just a painful whack.
I was stupid. I was lucky. I broke out my sled to recut the little piece. I might buy a leather apron.
Add pictures here
βœ–
My brother in law used to wear a vest made from slats of 1 x 2Θ or something like human ribs sewn into the vest for work on a commercial shaper. One day it happened and the shaper threw a blade at him. It didn't quite cut completely through his human rib vest and possibly have saved his life.
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe we'd all better go and buy ballistic vests! (And cricket boxes)
Dunno if they come with CO2 alarms though :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011
βœ–

I've heard of people sticking phone books in their aprons to act like body armor, but that'd make for a rather bulky codpiece.
Add pictures here
βœ–

------------------ Yep, you were lucky.
If you family jewels are in the line of fire, perhaps you should wear a cup.
I am certain that you have reviewed all the ways that you could have done it differently. Safety awareness (and practice) is a 24 hour a day thing. There is no good time to throw caution to the winds. Any power tool (and many hand tools) have the capacity to cause extreme injury. Do not take them lightly. It doesn't take more than a minute to drastically change your life. Take the time and do it right.
Be careful, Be safe. Your body and loved ones will thank you for the effort.
<end of safety speech>
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 13, 4:32 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I am going to submit a design to the SawStop people. It elevates the saw onto a platform and it will have a radar detection device which will detect the reversal of stock motion and with an explosive charge open up a trapdoor beneath the operator yanking him out of harm's way. Ballistically, the speed of the backwards flying stock will probably out-accellerate the dropping operator's body hitting him in the face instead. At least his junk will be okay....maybe.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I am going to submit a design to the SawStop people. It elevates the saw onto a platform and it will have a radar detection device which will detect the reversal of stock motion and with an explosive charge open up a trapdoor beneath the operator yanking him out of harm's way. Ballistically, the speed of the backwards flying stock will probably out-accellerate the dropping operator's body hitting him in the face instead. At least his junk will be okay....maybe.
I'm short and quit using the Shopsmith as a table saw when a kick back caught me right on the sternum. A Dracula Moment.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Whackin' your wood in the shop and then telling about it: priceless.

Here ya go: http://tinyurl.com/6hcvrj8 A nice thick one. It could save you a broken rib, too, if you's squattin' while whackin', son.
P.S: Congrats on not needing stitches.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

<Snip>
I don't want to sound like a preacher, but WHERE was your PUSH BLOCK?
Anything less than 5" wide doesn't go thru without one, at least that is the way I was taught.
Glad to see you are OK.
Take care.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

Re-read the OP. The problem was that he pushed it through using a miter gauge. The unsupported end was trapped between the blade and the rip fence, which he used to get the correct length, lazily. When the unsupported length tried to turn slightly at a diagonal between the blade and fence as the last little bit of wood cut through, it did no longer fit between the two, which caused the stick to become a dick homing missile.
I teach exactly that lesson as one of my top ten things to not do on a table saw, and point out what part of your male anatomy will pay for noncompliance,
That is one lesson that gets a 16 year old's attention. Every time. And it will kick nearly every time that the width is greater than the length (along the fence) by a factor of about 3 or more.
--
Jim in NC(teaching shop class)

Add pictures here
βœ–
SO leave the table saw work to the womenΙ
"Morgans" wrote in message Re-read the OP. The problem was that he pushed it through using a miter gauge. The unsupported end was trapped between the blade and the rip fence, which he used to get the correct length, lazily. When the unsupported length tried to turn slightly at a diagonal between the blade and fence as the last little bit of wood cut through, it did no longer fit between the two, which caused the stick to become a dick homing missile.
I teach exactly that lesson as one of my top ten things to not do on a table saw, and point out what part of your male anatomy will pay for noncompliance,
That is one lesson that gets a 16 year old's attention. Every time. And it will kick nearly every time that the width is greater than the length (along the fence) by a factor of about 3 or more.
--
Jim in NC(teaching shop class)

Add pictures here
βœ–
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

-------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

---------------------------------
"Morgans" wrote:

-------------------------------- I read and understood the problem first time around.
Use a push stick, potential problem never gets a chance to develop, epsecially if you are going to reference against the fence without a stop block.
Lew .
Add pictures here
βœ–

I would agree somewhat but only if the push stick is of the type the has lots of top down pressure. I think even then it would be 10 times safer to use a proper operation with no possibility of binding, as I will do forever from now on.
Useless push stick: http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects/notched-push-stick-plan.html
Useful push stick:
http://www.sawdustalley.co.uk/workshop/Tools/push-stick-2.gif
Add pictures here
βœ–
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

"Useless" is being a tad generous IMHO. ----------------------------------------

Yep, good general configuration IMHO. --------------------------------------------- Another one I like is the simple one shown on a WoodSmithShop episode.
A simple 2x4 about 12" long with about a 1/2" x 10"-11" notch cut in both top and bottom with a band saw.
Neat and simple.
Functions I appreciate these days.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
This URL shows how to make 2x4 push blocks shown on WoodSmithShop.
http://tinyurl.com/4rdaotd
Enjoy
Lew ---------------------------------------------

Add pictures here
βœ–

I like the tubafor idea. Maybe make it similar to the other by using a tubasix and scrolling in an uphandle.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

---------------------------------- Personally I like the tubasix rather than the tubafor.
Probably not necessary, but helps reduce my pucker factor.
Neat, simple, SAFE and no handle needed.
SAFE works for me.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

Glad everything's ok with your Fes-Tool.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 2/13/2011 4:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

"And be sure to call your doctor if you have an erection lasting more than four hours ..."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

These days, at my age, I'd be happy if one lasted more than four minutes!