Where to get 2" x 3" x 3.5m wood from in Coventry? Where's cheapest

Just a general enquiry I need some wood to increase the thickness of the joists in my loft after putting a loft hatch in.

I would normally pop down to bnQ but I get the feeling maybe they aren't very cheap generally?

Only other options would be Jewsons or homebase - I think Jewsons may have a trade yard, would that be cheaper? if so are we talking pennies or 1/2 the price? Can I turn up and buy stuff there?

Reply to
405 TD Estate

I'd get tannilised (impregnated to prevent rot, etc) construction grade stuff which will mean a decent timber yard. The sheds sell basically rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , 405 TD Estate writes

Not sure on the price difference but at least with Jewsons there would be a chance that it would be straight.

Reply to
Bill

Not sure that I would agree with you on that - at least in the big BnQ's you can select the pieces that are straight and shake free Often if you go as a hobbyist to the wood yards, you just get what you're given. I've had no bother with the timber from BnQ - I can select each piece, the price is perfectly OK and for me it's nearby.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I think the problem the sheds have with timber is they don't have a suitable place to store it i.e. outdoors but under cover, with the height to stock anything over 2.4m.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I find Jewson & Homebase expensive. Do you have a Wickes nearby? Reasonable quality & price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman