JessEm Mortise mill

Page 1 of 4
Anybody have hands on with this one: http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_Mortise_Mill_p/08200.htm
Larry
On 2/1/2013 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying something.

It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is small, portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much smaller than a dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less space.
It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small, one man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.
It reminds me of the Beadlock, remember that?
http://www.beadlock.com /
"Lee Michaels" wrote"

-------------------------------- +1
Lew

--------------------------------
One thing that I noticed on the site was that tenons could be added to cope and stick joints... that may be useful in cases where a stronger joint is needed. This jig would offer a reasonable means to meet that need.
John
"Lee Michaels" wrote"

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

--------------------------------------- Forgot to mention that it is a natural if you do picture frames.
Lew
On 2/1/2013 9:48 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The possible problem I see with it is if you don't move the bit over enough with initial drilling it might slide back into the previous hole. If you move it so that it makes a complete hole then sliding the lever back and forth to clean out the left behind waste might make the jig slide out of position. If you tighten the clamp too much you mar the surface of the wood.
I would want a money back guarantee.
On 2/1/2013 12:50 PM, Leon wrote:

I have no experience, but my first thought was to wonder how well a side-cutting bit would work in tough wood at the RPM provided by a standard drill.

Same here -- which caused me to wonder if you can use a router instead of a drill...
On 2/1/2013 1:29 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

For what it's worth, I have the BeadLock Basic jig. I tried it exactly once so far, about as quickly and carelessly as I could muster. Still, it made a nice, tight, well-aligned joint that feels strong even without glue. (This was a test. I would of course glue any real joint). I have thoughts of a coffee table using that jig should I manage to finish my current project with my sanity intact.
On 2/1/2013 1:29 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Again, my experience is limited, but I wouldn't feel safe trying to to aim a spinning bit at router speed into a small metal hole.

The demo video pretty clearly shows the drill is not started until after the bit is inserted into the guide; I figured on doing the same with a router.
Greg Guarino wrote:

------------------------------------------------ I suspect the the drill bit they provide is ground to a non-standard grind that promotes side cutting at low RPM.
Lew
On 2/1/13 12:08 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It's only to clean up the hole, after having drilled down all the way in several places. I've seen guys demonstrate it and they all had their own technique that worked equally well. I do wonder how it might be retrofitted with a trim router and good router bit.
--

-MIKE-

There are all kinds of router mortise jigs out there. The difference with this product is that it is much cheaper. There are a whole spectrum of mortise options available. From cheap to exorbitant and everything between. You pays your money and takes your choices.
On Friday, February 1, 2013 2:47:07 PM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:

From the OP:
I've decided to try it and for less than $100 ($69 for the unit and $10 for 50 tenons) it either is or isn't going to meet my needs. I kinda look at this as an expensive first step toward the Domino.
Larry
On 2/1/13 2:54 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Did you mean, "inexpensive?"
--

-MIKE-

On Friday, February 1, 2013 2:59:17 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- At $8.99/box of 50 tenons, reminds me of the razor blade pricing game.
Wonder what kind of a price they would offer for an order of 500 pcs?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Speaking of that highway-robbery, I think these are a great value if you don't knock them against the sink (it knocks the blades slightly out of alignment):
(Amazon.com product link shortened)