Inexpensive Competitor for the Festool Domino?

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but Jessem has what I'd consider a much cheaper competitor for the Domino. It's called the Zipslot. What's unusual about it is that it uses your hand drill as the mortising tool. I can't comment on it's capability, but Jessem tools are well built in my opinion, so this might be a workable tool.

Upscale

That should have been "electric drill", not hand drill.

Reply to
Upscale

While in some cases they may both do a type of loose tenon joint, it looks like comparing those tools is the old apples to oranges.

The Domino can be used and held like a biscuit machine, and can be used on flat surfaces, edge treatments, and on and on as you undoubtedly know.

It appears that the material must be held or secured in some way, taking the portability out of the machine. I can imagine using the Domino for all kinds of wood joining and joints since its flexibility in application is so great.

This jig looks like a lot of work. And after seeing the Domino demo, I can't imagine how it could compare in the ease of lining up the mortises for tenon insertion.

Just my opinion here, but even if it was half the price the Domino is still a better deal.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You like that phrase, don't you? That's the third time you've used it in less than a week. :)

Of course it isn't, I didn't suggest it was. Essentially there's only one extra measurement and marking needed if one incorporates the stop jig as suggest in the video.

I'm willing to bet it's closer to 25% of the price or maybe even less. The Domino is for people who are close to the production stage or have money to burn. (no offence Leon) A little bit of practice with the ziptool and most of the steps are pretty straightforward with a minimum of fuss. I'd suggest it's for people who might be doing a dozen joins a week or less. My only concern would be how easily it cuts a slot with their special bit.

It has no need for power, little mess, great portability, there are advantages to it. I'd certainly consider the ziptool as a fairly inexpensive alternative and I'm a big power tool junkie at heart. Guess we'll see.

Reply to
Upscale

Might work with a hand drill, depending on caffeine level..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

What do you figure Mac, about 8 cups should do it? :)

Reply to
Upscale

On Jan 4, 4:05=A0am, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote: [snip]

I absolutely agree. That tool is not in the same league as the Domino. It is clever, that much I will agree on. The lack of portability to a job-site kills it for me. I do see that it would do panel butt-joint though. But it would have to be way less than 1/2 the price of a Domino to stand a chance in the market place....and it simply doesn't look cheap to make. Also, knowing the little I know about Jessum, it won't 'be' cheap.

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't believe it's intended to be. It's just an alternative to dropping $1000 on a tool that one probably doesn't really need, but offers essentially the same result ~ a loose tenon joint. I guess it's all going to come down to price.

It would be nice if it could be adapted to use a trim router or something similar instead of a drill. I'm dubious about how well their special drill bit will cut.

Reply to
Upscale

I agree. I think the bit cuts fine. But from looking at the video, it appears you have to drill down in steps of 1/4 inch or so. I like that you can use any old drill for it, like a pocket hole jig. But it seem to take quite a while to drill one out.

First thing I would do it figure out a way to use a router and fluted carbide up-cut bit with the thing. But for 250, you'd think "they" would. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is that what it costs? I looked around a bit, but couldn't find a price for it.

Reply to
Upscale

There are 2 versions, one is $100 and one is $250. The expensive one has dust collection and I'm not sure what else. Woodcraft has them.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

I guess there are two versions:

a 1/4" for 99 bucks:

-MIKE-

Check out the video for the 99 dollar jobbie (pocket zip).

It's a pretty cool little jig.

I could see myself pickin it up on sale.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I used Google to search the group, but found no other references to fruit from me.

On the other hand, fruity metaphors might be a good thing for me to start incorporating into my normal spoken vernacular rather than my usual jobsite-style references.

Don't get me wrong about your post... I appreciate you posting something new, especially if it is an affordable alternative to an expensive tool that I have a bad case of extreme lust to own. I rarely catch the wood magazines, don't go into Woodcraft much at all, and unless I am on site with other sawdust makers I never hear about the latest and greatest of anything.

Dunno what I would use the Domino for to make it pay for itself at this time, but rest assured, when I get a project where it "makes sense" to have it, I will join the black and green club in a minute.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

Dunno what I would use the Domino for to make it pay for itself at this time, but rest assured, when I get a project where it "makes sense" to have it, I will join the black and green club in a minute. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That old thing about a tool paying for itself. I know that one.

But your statement could be interpertered in another way. We all could sit around and make suggestions about that mystical job you could justify buying it for.

Hmmmmmmmm......., how about attaching cedar shingles to a house? Each with two loose tennons!

OK, I tried. Anybody else have any Domino suggestions for Robert?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:005090ce$0$13631$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

*snip*

Stack them up and knock them over? Right now I'm sure you've only got to do 10 or so to get the world record. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Man.... that's just mean. OK... I'm sitting here laughing, but it's still mean. You know, like teasing a dog with a bone.

If business was better, it could get downright scary though...

One of my friends that has one claims that if he leaves all the cut pieces out on the worktable overnight and plugs in the Domino before leaving, when he comes in the next day the project will be assembled.

Sounds fishy, but I think that's what convinced him to buy one. (At least that's his story!)

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Ok, then my mistake. In the last week or so, it has been used at least three times with people I've been talking to. Just a coindicence that they all appeared at the same time.

I watched videos on Woodcraft for the mini ziptool ($99) and the regular ziptool ($250), both priced well below the Domino. (recommendations by the reviewer for both models) Yup, I've got Domino envy too. When thinking about it, I often go looking for some project that would mandate buying it for myself. I've even been perusing a few online conversations about Canadians who want or have bought one and how they've gone about getting one up here.

At the present time in Canada, the Domino is only available through Hafele and for them it's just a sideline to their main business. I believe the main reason they got to handle it is because they're a German company and had affiliations with Festool in Germany. But, their enthusiam for marketing it up here is decidedly lacking, which makes the Domino in Canada aggravting to obtain.

I did see one conversation about Woodcraft where they said that when trying to buy it online from the Woodcraft website, the sale gets terminated at the end, but that Woodcraft will take the order and ship to Canada if one calls it in by phone.

The only other alternatives are a trip across the border or have a friend in the US ship one to you.

Reply to
Upscale