inexpensive pipe threader

I'd like to buy a pipe threader for 1/2" galv pipe. I see many pipe-threaders on-line from $25 to $50 from retailers such as Harbor-Freight, Grizzly and lesser know shops. Most appear similar or the same. Are these devices OK or are they junk? I seen mixed review about these retailers. The name brand threaders are considerably more $. Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive devices?

thanks, jack

Reply to
jack

I have the harbor freight ones. I used it do my gas installation, 1" was the biggest. Blades are soft and go away pretty fast, buy extras depending on the amount your planning on doing. Use a good quality oil and keep it clean. Lots of oil and go slow you will be fine. Not a production every day tool, unless your planning on buying lots of dies.

Reply to
SQLit

This is the best argument anyone could make for not wasting your money on junk. Get the Ridgid tools you need. They really aren't that pricey considering the time you save when everything fits right the first time. Check eBay, local pawn shops for used tool bargains. Rental stores are another good source, used or rentals, your choice. Just 2 cents worth.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Yes, the toy tools bring nothing but frustration especially if the dies wear out easily and you never know what result you will get. I have a couple Rigid threaders that I bought at least 15 years ago that still cut properly and they still have the original cutting dies.

Reply to
George