ideas for capturing miter saw (non slider) dust

OK.. I'm looking for an elegant solution to use a 6" DC line to catch 90% of the dust from my Dewalt 12" miter box.

This should be a nice engineering challenge. Taking into account miter and bevel (dual bevel) combinations there are many angles to which dust will fly.

I don't think a box surrounding the whole dust potential area is going to work effectively. That would have to cover about 26" wide by 18" high. That's a lot of area for a 6" (27 sq inches) DC line to cover.

If you are wondering why 6".. google Bill Pentz.

I have watched the dust fly from my saw and 50% or so slams right into the back pivot points. The DW has a pathetic 1" port at the back. To a shop vac, it maybe gets 50% of the bigger stuff. The advantage to this port is that it stays aligned to the blade regardless of bevel or miter position.

I'm thinking some kind of 6" port that better encases the area where most of the dust will fly.

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin -

I don't think you'll ever capture all the dust, but getting most of the fine dust is possible. I built a unit that sits on a swivel designed to hold those old heavy computer monitors. It has a 4 or 5" port in a 12" x 12" black plastic back. It then flares out to about 20" x 20". It's mounted on a movable unit and works pretty good after I built a card board deflector. My unit is a Makita 1013 SCMS. If you want I can send you a picture ...

Les

Reply to
LesT

I use a box built from foam, after several hoods, IF I can't do it outside!

I hear Festool will soon sell a miter saw with good dust collection.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

I gave up on my Makita 1013 .. pulled the table the slider is on about 6" back from the wall, let the dust bounce off the wall onto the floor below, then suck it up from there ... when I get time/feel like it.

Out of sight, out of mind works better sometimes ... particularly when everything else tried was frustrating time and energy spent away from making something worthwhile.

Reply to
Swingman

That's exactly how my foam box works. It's 2" blue foam duct taped together, that lets the dust fall to the floor.

The foam doubles as a "door block" over my exhaust fan, for spraying! Unfolded, it fits the door. Folded to a 45 degree angle, with a 12" center section, it deflects SCMS dust. It folds flat to store.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

That is a dream for a CMS. I have fairly large DC system(3300cfm) and I have tried 6" and I don't see a big difference between that a dedicated shop vac hooked directly to the saw.

Those saw by their very nature spew dust back in your face and I don't think much is going to prevent that.

Kev> OK.. I'm looking for an elegant solution to use a 6" DC line to catch 90% of

Reply to
Pat Barber

Please.. send the photos.

remove NOSPAM_ from my email

I don't think you'll ever capture all the dust, but getting most of the fine dust is possible. I built a unit that sits on a swivel designed to hold those old heavy computer monitors. It has a 4 or 5" port in a 12" x 12" black plastic back. It then flares out to about 20" x 20". It's mounted on a movable unit and works pretty good after I built a card board deflector. My unit is a Makita 1013 SCMS. If you want I can send you a picture ...

Les

Reply to
Kevin

Good info...

The 6" should draw a lot more air.. but the problem is making sure that air has dust in it!

On my DW dual bevel CMS.. it has about a 1" dust port. All around that is the saw support, pivot, etc. And dust slams into that and bounces all over the place.

My primary goal would be to get most of the small airborne stuff. The chips, etc can be swept up later.

Reply to
Kevin