I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 2 of 16

Having worked in hi-tech fer 30 yrs, I used it all the time. I still do. I jes bought a "0.3 microns" respirator from Lee Valley Tools.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?pt167&cat=1,42207,43647&ap=1
nb
On 8/7/2016 3:33 PM, John McCoy wrote:

fairly recently, was also used in our scientific publications. I don't know when the change to µm occurred but obviously some pedant had a hand in it. Graham

Yes meteorologists do extensively use the meter/metric in their forecasts.
When they convert the actual temperature to metric you get the "feels like temperature"
;~)
On 8/5/2016 4:33 PM, John McCoy wrote:

the distance from the equator to the north pole on a line passing through Paris. It has been redefined in terms of physical quantities, but that doesn't make it 'better'. In fact it is just more convenient because it is all decimal. That makes it easier to make arithmetical calculations.
Bill

An arbitrary fraction of the distance from the pole to the equator is not a useful definition in the real world. No person can visualize what 1/10000000 of the distance from pole to equator is. Everyone can visualize how long a foot is, or the distance from nose to fingertips (a yard).
I'm sitting here drinking a cup of coffee. A cup, 8 oz, is a useful real world measurement, being about 1 serving of liquid. A cubic meter is neither easy to visualize nor particularly usefully sized (the liter, 1/1000 of a cubic meter, is no longer an official metric unit).
John
On 8/6/2016 10:37 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Hint: Its a tad larger than a cubic yard. In the back of a dump truck you can't tell them apart.

I've found a handy way to estimate from meters to feet is to multiply the number by 3 then divide the number by 3 and add the two results.
So, if you have a measurement of 100 m: 100 * 3 = 300 100 / 3 = 33.333 100 m ~= 333.333 ft 100m = 328.084ft
Not bad at all for something that takes only a few seconds to calculate in your head.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in
[...]

It's even faster to multiply by 10, then divide by 3 -- which produces exactly the same result in fewer steps.

Looks like that method's easily reversable, too. Cool!
Puckdropper

OK, run down to the store and get me 4/10000 cubic meters of milk, please :-)
John
On 8/6/2016 3:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:

What I learned, during this thread, is that most ppl in rw do not have a degree.
Major in any of the hard sciences and you WILL learn metric. ;)
nb

C or F?

Learning <> using, or liking it, for everyday use. There's no reason to change and billions of reasons not to.

Really? Will your 1.4" film work in my 35mm camera?
Like it or not, metric is here and not going away. Most of us use metric in our daily lives and have no idea that we do. We think nothing of it when we buy a 750 ml bottle of wine or 2 liter bottle of soda. Most of the manufactured products we buy are metric but unless we need a tool or replacement screw we have no idea.
In 1960 many auto shops could not work on imported cars but the guys that bought a set of metric wrenches charged a premium. Smart they were.
I agree there is no reason to change road signs. It does take a couple of days to get used to kilometers.
If you want to do business with the rest of the world you will use metric. Aside from stubbornness, there is no good reason not to.

That's really dumb. 1/4" would be a change. How many times, in my life, am I going to care about the size of 35mm film. It's a name.

Nice strawman. Consider it vanquished.

It takes a lot more than that, even with both scales on the speedometer.

Again, with the strawman.

Its a measurement. Kodak, a US company made miles of it and used metric tools to do it. They had to or not have that business that Fuji, Agfa and others made money from. They chose to buy a metric ruler and cash in.

I guess I gave you too much credit. Ever been to Europe? By day two most of us are buying fuel by the liter and can figure distance in kilometers. Stubbornness is the only reason a normal intelligent person would not grasp it.

use metric.
On 08/07/2016 11:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Again, nobody buys fuel by a specific volume almost ever; they either fill up the tank or container or watch the total monetary amount. If the pump is in liter vis a vis gallons; so what? It's just like the soda bottle, you buy what is offered; there's no choice and no need to even think of what the volume actually is; it takes what it takes to get to wherever you're going in whatever vehicle it is you're driving.
Similarly w/ the road signs...but it still doesn't mean it becomes any more innate quickly than does the immediate reaction to pull to the right in traffic when something unexpected happens; it's just too ingrained to overcome in only a few days (and yes, I've "been there, done that!" a number of times, including driving off the M and class A roads.

On 8/7/2016 11:04 AM, dpb wrote:

Ever heard of the Gimli Glider?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
On 08/07/2016 2:50 PM, graham wrote: ...

No, I hadn't or if had, totally forgotten about it.
See, there's a perfect reason why _shouldn't_ change! Screwed up royally that undoubtedly would have added the correct fuel amount if the calc's had been done as always had done... :)

How about, "What we use now works fine and has for a long time"?
Personally, I think 16.18743 hectares and a mule sucks :)