I don't get it, why is metric better?

Sure. That's the whole point. Why change?

Reply to
krw

What he said!

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My point exactly - there are very few, if any, cases where you'd use um where the context wouldn't be perfectly clear. I can't recall the last time I heard someone say "micron".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

When I buy coffee, it's always a 24oz cup. ;-) If it's not 90F out, I'll bring a 24oz cup to work and make another pot[*] for myself when I get there. ;-)

[*] Don't worry, it's unleaded. Can't have real coffee anymore.
Reply to
krw

Most of the metric world *is* the third world. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

English is the language where "Worcester" is pronounced "wooster" and "Cholmondeley" is pronounced "chumly".

I know how Texan works - that's where "Ford" rhymes with "road". :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

You're, of course, wrong. No, I didn't call anyone stupid for using the metric system. I don't care what they weigh themselves using or get plowed drinking. I didn't make the point that those who don't want to change must not be (aren't smart enough to be) college grads. Indeed, most of us are, AFAICT. Not wanting to change is *not* snobbery. Inertia is about the worst it can be called. There is just no point to it.

...and your point is?

Reply to
krw

It costs next to nothing as we already have duel tools and measuring devices. Some things won't change, such as 12 ounce cans for the millions of existing soda machines.

You probably have noticed that working "as is" means the gradual phasing in of metrics over many years and it is not going to stop. Fighting the change just adds another generation or two to the finality.

Be sure your grandchildren learn Mandarin too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

krw

  1. Process technology nodes (e.g. "point one eight micron")
  2. Micron memory. ;-)
Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news:lb2dnXbIeYANzDrKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

To be sure, Alphonse. Standards of decorum must be maintained.

I dunno why they're all 8oz. Most of them are freebies from trade shows.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Then why change? I don't care if the filling machines work in metric. It doesn't affect me at all. I don't want 1/3l cans. Unit pricing and all.

You still haven't given us a reason *to* change.

They said the same thing about Japanese and Arabic, too. These are all phases.

Reply to
krw

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It actually is more of a name. The original specification (from Thomas Edison) was for 1.375 inches. It became "35mm" when European filmmakers captured the market for it (Kodak originally could only sell to Edison, but Edison overlooked patenting the film in Europe, so makers there could sell to anyone).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

notbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Where you just then converting? 20 years ago would be

1996, most companies in the tech industries started converting about 10 years before that. Mid 90's was when my company switched from phillips screws (in a mix of inch & metric sizes) to Torx (all metric, of course).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Leon wrote in news:2smdnTd9i6PSxTrKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

So what does that make the US system of strange not-quite-right sizes? Most US units are a tad smaller than Imperial...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Is that "tad" defined in Imperial, US or metric units?

Reply to
graham

I heard that on the radio yesterday...perfect example of why there's so much resentment in the proletariat to the imposition of such insanity by authoritarians with nothing better to do than stir up trouble. :( And that we're paying for 'em besides just adds to the resentment, of course.

Reply to
dpb

I didn't know that Texas had gone metric:-)

Reply to
graham

Then there's Kansas but Arkansas:-)

Reply to
graham

Not too big. Not too small. Just...

A "tad" is a bit more than a "pinch", of course.

Reply to
krw