OT - This looks like a nice unique estate sale, south of Houston

I'd have fun looking around this place. I'd search for a possible Roycroft piece, hidden among the stash, somewhere.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Some nice stuff. The card catalog, the drawers for Clarkes, The old car, Some neat antiques some in good condition. Some heavily mildewed items ..

Some real crap too. But everyone has a different eye of what is cool.

Reply to
woodchucker

I scan Craigslist garage sales and estate sales, looking for old chisels, mainly.

For several months, I had looked for a 16" jointer. There was a Northfield, in Dallas, that sold for $2351, this past Thursday.

There's another sale, in Dallas, Inwood Furniture selling off assets... 600 pics, I think. Folks, there, may find some good deals.... saws, jointers, etc., and some nice looking tools storage cabinets, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That's not a jointer, that's an air craft carrier. One has to wonder, after clearing a space to put it, how are you going to get it there. :-)

Reply to
Leon

On 08/06/2016 5:05 PM, Sonny wrote: ...

Anybody any experience dealing with these brokers on the loadout and their requirements for same for larger pieces? I do a lot of farm auctions but there we just handle it ourselves w/ a bunch of the guys will all pitch in with generally the seller who'll have a frontend loader and away we goes... :)

These guys want insurance and all sorts of rigamarole; not sure how that works...couple pieces I'd be very interested in that so far haven't brought much action as yet that would possibly still be good deal even at the distance if the base price were low enough to pay for the hassle of the loading/shipping...

Reply to
dpb

Well, other than the dedicated woodshop, I have the barn to put it in. Th ere's a third unisaw and craftsman RAS in there, already, plus, lots of the big lumber and beams are stashed in the barn. There's a big I-beam to att ach a wench/come-a-long to, for lifting heavy loads. At one time, Jonas h ad a big metal lathe, in there, and the I-beam was used to unload it, then later load it, to remove it. I wouldn't use this large of jointer very oft en, so I don't need it in the woodshop.

I have a double axle trailer, for heavy loads.... besides, U-haul has doubl e axle trailers for $26 a day, plus additional insurance $$ for potential d angerous(?) loads, if need be.

There's an old 16" Cresent jointer in New Iberia, 30 miles from me. The g uy wants $1500 for it. It runs, but the bearings sound a little rumbly, t o me. Several parts have been refabricated, with/by welding plate iron on to each end of the motor housing and bracing (to the floor) the motor in al ignment with the cutter head.... it's direct drive. The bearings have be en changed, so the whole machine was iffy, to me, especially at that price. The fence is refabricated/wood/board and the guy didn't have the specif ic wrench for adjusting the knives.

The guy was very knowledgeable and has other big iron 3 phase woodworking m achines, he's selling. He was very honest and upfront about the machine's history and other info. He has a nice fully equipped single-phase machin es woodshop, as well. He's downsizing. We discovered we have mutual woodw orking friends/experts, locally, one specifically is Phillip Harmon (Acadia n Antique Reproduction), who does great work and who jointed and planed som e of my wide walnut trestle table boards.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That Northfiled jointer I was looking at on the Machinery Max site... I found it via Dallas Craigslist, posted by the owner, Phil Koch. He included a phone number.

... very nice work! I had phoned Phil and he would load for $35.

Yeah, a loader/shipper was available via Machinery Max site. So for, I've never needed that kind of service.

As for as the Inwood sale, contact them, directly, and see if they offer/have loading assistance, rather than a dedicated service, if you buy.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Jeez, I was thinking normal shop, a two car garage. ;~)

There's a third unisaw and craftsman RAS in there, already,

Oh crap! Not 3 Unisaws, a third Unisaw. Did you wear the first two out? :~)

Ok, now you are just bragging. I feel so inadequate.... ;~(

I wouldn't use this large of jointer very often, so I don't need

I would use it just to scare the neighbors!

Got Pictures of all of this??? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

So is that most of SW Kansas? LOL

I'm sure many people show up with their BIL, Bubba, and tear up everything in site trying to load the piece. I would be willing to bet that they want you to bring liability insurance.

Reply to
Leon

That sounds like a goo deal.

Probably no chance of him "unloading" it for an additional $35. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Sonny wrote: Snip 8>< There's a big I-beam to attach a wench/come-a-long to, for lifting heavy loads.

Here I sit, trying to picture a red-headed wench attached to an I-beam, although you didn't specify her hair color.

Reply to
G. Ross

Of the jointer, yes. Hub sent pics, before I went to look at the jointer.

Phillip Harmon doesn't have a website, to show his stuff. I've mention Phi llip before, here. I originally thought he taught at UL Lafayette (formerl y USL, Rajun Cajuns), but he taught at Lafayette High. Mr Harmon had a st roke a few years ago and his partner, Mark Broussard, pretty much runs the shop, now.

Jonas was in to machining, during his college days.... worked for a machine company, owner is a card-playing buddy and friend of ours. I bought the t hird unisaw off Craigslist for $400, for Jonas to play with. After I lied, Jonas paid me $600 for it, LOL. The RAS is Jonas', also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Plus the OK and TX panhandles, NE NM and SE CO, ... :)

Brought an old Ford 501 sickle mower home last weekend from "way back east" in central KS (around Hutchinson) to primarily use for mowing under the cedar windbreaks...got it cobbled onto the back of the 955 utility tractor and it's going to work pretty well once get it actually adapted to the newer 3-pt arrangements and give it a little TLC including some new sickle sections, etc., ... But it slide right under most of the lower branches that aren't actually in the ground as they were--will have to do a little trimming to be able to just drive along in the future, but it'll be a _major_ upgrade over the hand schythe or trying to use a trimmer for keeping up around the house that typically gets neglected for other things more pressing...

Reply to
dpb

No, sorry, I saw those. I was referring to the rest of you shop.

Reply to
Leon

Today's my day to care for Mom. Will take and post pics late this evening or tomorrow.

Got a new computer last week and still learning the Windows 10 format. Hav en't transferred many pics to this computer, yet, mostly for upholstery, so for.

New project pending. Two weeks ago we closed on 3.5 acreas, with an old 50 s-60s era house, adjacent to the farm. The old house needs repairs, pain t, etc., and the "lawn" needs some cleaning and landscaping. A pecan tree , near the house, needs to be removed and hope to collect the rootball, for pecan table legs, as with the walnut table. Discovered a nice osage oran ge growing on the place, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny