2 cycle mix. I don't get it.

I don't get this. I've been using those "brand name" repacked mixes for years, but finally got tired of the waste of having to mix a gallon at a time of three different products and throwing much of it away.

I got a syringe device from the local parts store that allows me to mix a pint at time in the ratio I need...but reading through one of my owners manuals, it sez 40 to 1 when it's their pre packaged product, otherwise, 16 to one. The mauls for the other products don't say anything except give the ratio.

I always assumed those pre-mixes were simply two cycle oil in bottles of the right amount to give the desired ratio. Am I wrong about that? Does that mean I can't buy a bult jug of the stuff and measure it out for different ratios? Does that mean if an oil is marked 100:1, I can't measure out enough to give me 50:1???

Reply to
Dane Brickman

First.... the numbers ratio you see is the fluid ounces of gasoline per fluid ounces of oil.

So, a 32:1 mix is 32 ounces (one quart) of gasoline per ounce of oil. A galon is four quarts, so you'd use four ounces of oil. Yes, some of the newer oils use 3.2 ounces per galon, but lets not get confused.

Yes, you can mix smaller portions. One ounce of oil will make a quart of two stroke mix.

If you add less oil, you get a larger first number in the ratio. For example, 2 1/2 ounces of oil in galon will give you about 50:1,and 1 1/4 ounces of il in the same galon will give you 100:1.

It won't hurt an engine to run it a bit too rich. For example your 32:1 chainsaw mix will run your 50:1 weed whacker. Might foul the plug a bit sooner is all.

If you run an engine too lean (too little oil) it can destroy the engine.

The reason the manual reccomends 16:1 with other guys stuff is that too rich won't hurt your engine -- but if you get some off brand oil, that might damage.

To get from 100:1 to 50:1 you'd have to use either half the gasoline (50 ounces instead of 100 ounces)for the same oil, or double the oil.

Personally, i mix 32:1 and run it in my snow blower, chainsaw (s) and weed whacker. After 6 months or so, I pour it through a funnel into the gas tank of the truck, and go buy antoher galon of gas, and pour in 4 ounces oil, and that keeps it simple.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:15:35 -0400, "Dane Brickman" scribbled: , I thus relpy:

You can buy as much as you desire. We buy the half pint bolltes usially, but have bought a wholw quart.

Reply to
Gary Tait

When I use something besides the manufactures oil in a chainsaw or any other 2 cycle engine I mix 8 ozs per gallon and have never fouled a plug or had any troubles at all. But I buy my oil by the 55 gallon drum.

Reply to
Randd01

Twostroke oil is vastly different than fourstroke oil.

Twostroke oil is designed to be burned. It is a more pure form, less additives and no detergents. It burns more cleanly.

If you're getting oil in a drum, it is probably crankcase oil, which is designed to swish around in or pump through an engine -- not designed to mix with gas and burn. I'd suggest to get a quart or two of two cycle oil for your gas mix applications. What it's designed for.

Outboard motor twostroke oil is a different product, slightly. Since outboards are water cooled, they run cooler. And some outboard oils won't take the heat of a chainsaw or weed whacker.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I buy two cycle oil in 55 gal drums that is good in marine and air cooled engines . It meet both specs. I've been using it for over 20 years now with out one bit of trouble. It is a Chevron product made for 2 cycle not 4 cycle. Although in a bind you can use 4 cycle oil at the 8 ozs to a gal ratio.

Reply to
Randd01

What do you do that needs so much two stroke oil?

I bought 10 or 11 quarts at the local store a while back (store keeper got a case for someone with a snow mobile and didn't sell much of it; he traded it to me for the same number of quarts of four stroke oil).

I've still got several quarts. I can't imagine using a barrel of two stroke oil in my entire life.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I run a construction campany and have 15l chainsaws, 10 pipesaws, 6 brush cutters and 4 outboard motors in our boats. We use a drum every two years. And for the people who think it is different stuff... It is Chevron two cycle oil speced for air and water cooled engines. We buy it at half the price of the per quart rate.

Reply to
Randd01

there is a lawn maintenance and snow removal co in my town, he has alot of trucks and buys 100 gal at a time.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I'm completely impressed. I run a much smaller outfit.

One man, two chainsaws, one weed whacker, and one snow blowe.

Pleasure to meet you, sir. I apologize about wondering if the barrel of oil was fourcycle. I've never known anyone who uses that much twostroke oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon