I don't get it, why is metric better?

I still think fear and a certain stubbornness are the main factors. "Independence" is just used to disguise them. Graham

Reply to
graham

999999.9999 meters

.9999999999 kilometers

Where would you find a situation where you would want to subtract a 1mm firn a kilometer or 1/16 from a mile?

Even with GPS you can not measure a kilometer to that degree of accuracy. The last time I checked GPS was accurate to about 100 feet.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Well, here, just above. But does it matter? It is an easy calculation in imperial.

It's a math problem.

What has a GMO go to do with anything.

Reply to
Leon

I think you are wrong. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

For woodworking, I use the inch (except when fooling with Festools).

6' 2-5/8" is much easier thought of as 74-5/8".
Reply to
krw

Really? is that by weight or volume?:-) Then there's:

16oz=1lb 112lb = 1 hundredweight (cwt) 20cwt or 2240lbs + 1 ton. 12" = 1' 3'= 1yd 45"=1 ell (obsolete) 22 yds = 1 chain 10 chains = 1 furlong 8 furlongs = 1 mile

And you talk of the original definition of the kilometre being arbitrary? Graham

Reply to
graham

Not true. Meteorology uses the meter quite extensively. Electronics uses the micron, and medicine still uses the centimeter.

Reply to
krw

That's why coffee cups are 5oz? ;-)

An easier measurement to grasp is the ounce or pint. Gets two measurements for the price of one. Cubic feet aren't obvious for the same reason that cubic meters aren't. We don't think in volume (a cubic foot looks nothing like 8 gallons).

Reply to
krw

Nah, it's 63359-15/16". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Afraid? Hardly. It's just not useful to waste the money on the conversion. Calculators made it a fools errand.

Reply to
krw

Sure, there are times when I only had an hour to do something that would have been much easier to do in 100 minutes. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Because I keep writing stuff that will be seen by an international audience I sat down and wrote a little utility to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures. That way I can give the temperature in both units so everybody can see what I am talking about.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I was able to lern temperature quickly. We rented a villa in Italy in March. The owner said he'd program the thermostat for us before he left. He asked if 14 was Ok. I nodded yes. Next morning I learned to convert and set it for 20.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 08/06/2016 4:48 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote: ...

Au contraire...at least w/ a little help... :)

Field guidance systems are 1-sigma absolute accuracy of about 4.5 cm. In other words, can locate within 4.5 cm of a specific point 65% of the time, and to under 10 cm around 95% of the time (2-sigma). Relative as opposed to absolute accuracy is about 2.5 cm.

With the current self-guiding systems, absolute accuracy is now down to about 2 cm, and relative accuracy in the millimeters.

Of course, this is done in firmware in the receiver using multiple inputs, not a single satellite as used in the run-of-the-mill auto GPS systems (altho I thought they were closer to 10-ft now rather than 100?).

Reply to
dpb

Cant. It comes in 5/10000 bottles. Costs 167 Rupee

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow! Is a cubic foot really 8 gallons? I would have imagined 2~3 gallons.

Reply to
Leon

The GMS in my 4 year old iPad is withing 20' I sorta follows me around in the house when I have a map program running.

Reply to
Leon

And I seriously believe this is the king of answer you get when dealing with metric measurements.

Fortunately with Imperial feet and inches and fraction of an inch IMHO make things a bit easier to visualize, sorta. Especially when dealing with measurements for building a room or home.

Reply to
Leon

What I learned, during this thread, is that most ppl in rw do not have a degree.

Major in any of the hard sciences and you WILL learn metric. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

C or F?

Learning using, or liking it, for everyday use. There's no reason to change and billions of reasons not to.

Reply to
krw