How fast to set RPM on router

I have a variable speed router and want to make a 3/4" wide dado about 1/4" deep in pine to start out. Should the speed be set high or low? Probably in the manual, but the manual's at home and I like hearing responses from y'all.
Is there a general rule of thumb for setting the speeds on tools, like routers, drill presses, etc?
If I see tear out would reducing or increasing the RPM help? What about burning? I haven't seen these issues yet, but I'd like to know what to do to correct them.