Freud FT2000EM 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router

I am thinking of purchasing the Freud FT2000EM 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed. Any comments about the quality, ease of use, etc. Finally, would the best way to purchase it be by doing a search on the web. Any good sites would be appreciated. Thanks, David

Reply to
David

I have the early version of that router- no soft start, no variable speed. other than being loud, it's a great machine. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I upgraded my PC 1.5 hp plunge fixed base kit with the Freud. I really enjoy this Router, over the other ones I have used. (B&D, Craftmans,Craftsman Pro 2 hp (burned this sucker out really good) , PC) Is mounted to my BT3000 table,, and is all to fun to work with. The soft start, makes you wonder if its on at first, but once you realize it is,, you will be more than happy. I got mine at HD with a 10% discount on new HD accounts. was well worth the money.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I have the Freud FT2000E that I've been using in a router table for about 5 years. If it ever breaks I'd buy another one.

Nova

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought the FT2000E version of the router from Amazon about two years ago. My first router. Great price, although I don't remember exactly what it was. I figured more horses, same money, better deal. Not so fast, Sparky.

It lives permanently in my (home built) router table these days, where it does an excellent job. Handheld, it scared me spitless, even with the soft start.

I'm glad I have it, but handheld work gets done with a PC 690 or PC7310, because I'm more comfortable with the safety of using those tools.

YMMV

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Had one for years, I'd buy another. You can get better routers (in the UK), but not without spending twice as much. It's a really good deal for the money.

Good table router. Nice depth adjust.

Plastic baseplate has a huge hole in it. Do yourself a favour and make a couple more in clear perspex, at least one with only a small hole. Most of the time you're only using a small cutter and this reduces wobbling if you're working handheld.

Nice cable on it. Extra-flexible rubber, good thick gauge that doesn't mind getting trodden on. Why can't more tool makers get the details right like this ?

Andy Dingley

Thanks for all the feedback, and ideas!! David

Reply to
David