How do you route the edge of a 9" wooded disk

Afternoon all,
I need to round over the edge of a piece of 3/4" ROak with a 9" dia.
Is there an easy and safe way to do this on a router table. I could place a pin (bolt) in the router table about 2" from the bit and use it as a guide, but, not sure if that's a good idea or not. Any thoughts on this method?
Or is it better to secure it to a larger piece of wood and use a handheld router? Problem here is 'hiding' the holes on the top (good) side. Would carpet tape hold it in place well enough?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Ron
Get you one of those router mats that sell for about $8 and use the router by hand. Nothing moves once you set the piece on the mat. Just be sure that the depth of the bit isn't so deep that you cut through the mat while you rout.
And I'm not saying how I know you should avoid that....

I would not do this by hand. You have a router table so set two pins in the table top (or, better yet, a temporary table top--allows a mistake or two), one on either side of the bit and spaced (from the cutting edge and each other) to give you the radius you need. Use a test piece or two to get it right. With this method there is no need for holes in the work piece. Use the pins as guides, keeping steady but light pressure against both as you rotate the work through the bit.
You could also use one pin in the table and your fence as guides (I believe).
Good luck. (What 'r ya makin"?)
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote:

More reliable (imo) is to make pattern and use double-sided tape and guide bearing
Duane Bozarth wrote:

That's assuming the reason for the question is that you want the full 3/4" (or nearly, anyway edge rounded so you don't have a bearing surface). That's why I think this is more reliable than the pins as you have a clean, untouched edged...

Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Is there a reason you can't use a round-over bit with a bearing? In that case a table would be sufficiently safe to use.
http://www.carbide.com/catalog/RBits_Radius.cfm?GroupID 01.02.01
He probably means he wants to nose the piece...rounding from both sides, so there's no place for the bearing to run on the second pass. Wilson

ahhh..indeed.

Why can't you just use a roundover bit with pilot bearing in your table. With a 9" diameter, you shouldn't need any pins, fences or anything else. Just hold it with both hands and be careful to feed in the right direction. I've done a lot of round over stuff using this approach and its very easy and clean, if you have a high quality bit with good bearing.
An alternative is a hand held laminate trimmer with pilot bearing round over bit.
Bob
You could clamp two pieces of wood to the router table, placing them in a "V" angle (sort of like the flippers on a pinball machine) with the cutter centered at the bottom of the "V". This will keep the workpiece from being cut to deep if you do not use a bit with a bearing. Jay

A lot of good ideas guys, many ThankX.
This piece is to be used as a top of a plant stand. I'm planning on using an oak balluster for the single leg.
My roundover bit does have a roller bearing. I was planning on rounding over both sides, but, doing just the top edge will be OK.
I do have a router mat, but, forgot all about it.
I'll probably try either the pin(s) or the V angles methods.
I'll let you know how it works out.
ThankX again,
Ron