Hole spacing

Page 4 of 6
On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.
Leon wrote:

Yes, working with fractions and decimal numbers is simple if you already know how to do it. Personally, I think problems like this are perfect so someone who wants to hone his or her skills--and I mean by using pencil and paper. I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve for practice. I am willing to assist if requested.

I apologize for being vague above. By "pencil and paper" I meant arithmetic along with whatever else one needs to abstract/extract from a picture or diagram. Most of the time, of course, one has to draw his or her own diagram--and that may be the hardest part. I believe that learning to work problems like the one featured in this thread is valuable and will help take one's woodworking to another level. Practicing is not a waste of time at all. Even if this problem never shows up again, I promise that another one, having the same flavor, is just around the corner!

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:

>> On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
>>> Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including >>> Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both. Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I described.
If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.
--
Jack
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both. Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I described.
If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.
=================== I would definitely use CAD software (Autosketch) for many layout required jobs in woodworking but not for this simple example / problem. Just do it on your calculator and then lay a decent 1/10" scaled ruler down and mark the hole centers. Or convert as closely as possible to fractional inches or fudge the borders to make it work out.
Note there are many woodworking calculators that can work in inches and fractions for you, too.
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you? ; )
Give a man a match and he will keep himself warm for the day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!
1-------------- "Bill" wrote in message What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you?
2---------- Swingman wrote: Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...
3------------ On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote: "Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Only if you put that kind of fish on almond bread. Jewish biscotti aka Mandelbrot...I know, a bit obscure....
Swingman wrote:

I happend to catch part of an interesting show on PBS last night which provided a lot of evidence to support how *fractals* are related to nature. If you think about it, the common tree has some fractal-like aspects for instance. That may just be the tip of the iceberg (another fractal?)
Of course coding fractals is probably remarkably-easy using recursion, as long as you can deal with overflow of the run-time stack! : ) It would be analogous to one of the fastest sorting methods, MergeSort, which takes about 3 lines of code (in some sense).
Maybe you saw the same show?
So the statement, "Teach me to code fractal geometry and ..." --may merit some surprisingly-strong conclusions. Of course, you probably already realized this.
In the meantime, I still have my fish. BTW, as was written by one of my favorite authors of my teens and twenties, Patrick McManus, "Never sniff a gift fish!". Here is an excerpt taken from his easy to locate website:
"When I was a boy, catching worms was more of a challenge than catching fish. Some of our worms were bigger than most of our fish. We bragged about big worms we had dug. We lied about bigger worms we hadn't dug. We were worm snobs. Artificial flies were for sissies." ~ Patrick F. McManus in The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw
He's the only author who has been successful in making me laugh out loud, over and over. In junior high school a gal sitting next to me asked, "Is it really THAT funny", to which I proudly replied, "YES!". : )

You haven't read _The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove_ (or any book by Christopher Moore) yet, have you?
Exceedingly highly recommended.
_Coyote Blue and _Island of the Sequined Love Nun_ are both excellent, too. Cargo Cults, anyone?
Want another laugh? This hardcover book is on sale for only $21,963.61 + $3.99shipping Seller: gb_book Seller Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months. (1,686 total ratings) In Stock. Ships from CA, United States. Expedited shipping available. Domestic shipping rates and return policy. New, in perfect condition (It damned well better be for that price!) _Get Your House Right_
-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix
Larry Jaques wrote:

Gee, "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" sounds like it might be a bit "racy" for this forum? I haven't read it, but reading a little about it sort of reminds me of "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy". Does it have pictures? I tend to lean towards non-fiction. I still have your "Influence:.." book on my Amazon wishlist. I forced myself through "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" 28 years ago too--just to see what it was about. I can't say I really "got it".
An old author I have to recommend is Paul N. Hasluck. We're talking vintage 190X. I read most of his book on "woodworking" (largely rustic) and just started his book on woodcarving this week. These are 700-800 page books (for less than $15) and the words are layed out as thoughtfully as can be. After reading only up to the 2nd page of woodcarving, I sighed as to what a treat it was! It's that good. It's still good up to page 20 and I think it would be interesting even to someone with no plans to carve any wood at all. It's already started to help train my eye (to look critically) when I look at sculpture. I caught myself doing it by accident. And beautiful pictures.. He was a genius tradesman/scholar of his time and I can't see how anyone alive now can compete with him on his turf. Enter his name at Amazon.com to see if he's written on something of interest (glass working, metal working, ...).

Sequined Love Nun... Woo Hoo!!! That one Must have pictures???

Wow, I missed the comma the first and 2nd time I read that!

On 8/24/2011 10:19 PM, Bill wrote:

But if I cut the fish into 6 equal pieces, minus a few inches for the tail...
--
Jack

14/16" pieces?
-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix
Paul
"Bill" < snipped-for-privacy@NoSpamPlease.net> wrote in message
On 8/24/2011 12:26 AM, Leon wrote:

Doesn't matter what size the holes are if you want 6 equally spaced holes in 6 inch length, then the center marks will be the same regardless of hole size, long as the size fits.
--
Jack
On 8/24/2011 9:32 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,
"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"
And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.
Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal spacing before and after the first and last hole.
On 8/24/2011 10:56 AM, Leon wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear. It's why I provided two solutions in the form of those two drawings.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote: