Hole spacing

I apologize for being vague above. By "pencil and paper" I meant arithmetic along with whatever else one needs to abstract/extract from a picture or diagram. Most of the time, of course, one has to draw his or her own diagram--and that may be the hardest part. I believe that learning to work problems like the one featured in this thread is valuable and will help take one's woodworking to another level. Practicing is not a waste of time at all. Even if this problem never shows up again, I promise that another one, having the same flavor, is just around the corner!

I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve for

Reply to
Bill

But if I cut the fish into 6 equal pieces, minus a few inches for the tail...

Reply to
Jack Stein

I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but so far, just thinking about it...

Reply to
Jack Stein

14/16" pieces?

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jack Stein wrote in news:j35l69$2he$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Looks like you're doing just fine without the binaries, but your curiosity has been tweaked.

I'd suggest you pay Astraweb $10 for 25 GB of downloads, like I did in

2008. I'm still owed 24 GB of downloads, but then, I hardly ever look at anything other than abpw.

Bonus is the great retention and reliability of astraweb.

Reply to
Han

Give a man a match and he will keep himself warm for the day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!

2---------- Swingman wrote: Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

3------------ On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote: "Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Reply to
Josepi

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in that direction, too? I don't get it.

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe this reasoning will help. My pictures are my pictures. If I put them up on a website I have to keep track on which ones are where, and of which part of the site is going to be public, for friends, or just my self. When I want to share with everyone, it is easier to attach a picture to a post than upload to a website and check the permissions.

Reply to
Han

I can very quickly access pictures at ABPW with out having to open another program.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, and another reason for using APBW, the OP posted the results there.

Reply to
Leon

What does the latter cost in time? Maybe five minutes for two dozen pics?

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries, and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the end. YMMV

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, once you're set up and subscribed, it can be a few seconds quicker than opening a browser window.

ABPW has a lot of pukey ducks and 57 kudos for each. Clicking on a link to a picture host site takes about half a second.

Some pukey ducks were socially redeeming, IMHO. I saved someone's.

Oh, that took me about a minute to upload to my own site, including opening an FTP prog and new browser window. I didn't include search time for that particular pic. ;)

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, it may be 6 of 1 vs half a doz of the other. So, it'll depend on my whims and how important I think it is for you to see the pics. Did you get to see the entertainment ctr I finished, with the woven strips of maple and walnut as the panels of the doors? Go see abpw in a few minutes then .

Reply to
Han

Yes, I did, and I complimented you on it. I liked it very much.

But it wasn't because they were on ABPW. You had posted them on Flickr. Pfffffffffffft!

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, there's that.

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I happend to catch part of an interesting show on PBS last night which provided a lot of evidence to support how *fractals* are related to nature. If you think about it, the common tree has some fractal-like aspects for instance. That may just be the tip of the iceberg (another fractal?)

Of course coding fractals is probably remarkably-easy using recursion, as long as you can deal with overflow of the run-time stack! : ) It would be analogous to one of the fastest sorting methods, MergeSort, which takes about 3 lines of code (in some sense).

Maybe you saw the same show?

So the statement, "Teach me to code fractal geometry and ..." --may merit some surprisingly-strong conclusions. Of course, you probably already realized this.

In the meantime, I still have my fish. BTW, as was written by one of my favorite authors of my teens and twenties, Patrick McManus, "Never sniff a gift fish!". Here is an excerpt taken from his easy to locate website:

"When I was a boy, catching worms was more of a challenge than catching fish. Some of our worms were bigger than most of our fish. We bragged about big worms we had dug. We lied about bigger worms we hadn't dug. We were worm snobs. Artificial flies were for sissies." ~ Patrick F. McManus in The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

He's the only author who has been successful in making me laugh out loud, over and over. In junior high school a gal sitting next to me asked, "Is it really THAT funny", to which I proudly replied, "YES!". : )

Reply to
Bill

You haven't read _The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove_ (or any book by Christopher Moore) yet, have you?

Exceedingly highly recommended.

_Coyote Blue and _Island of the Sequined Love Nun_ are both excellent, too. Cargo Cults, anyone?

Want another laugh? This hardcover book is on sale for only $21,963.61

  • .99shipping Seller: gb_book Seller Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months. (1,686 total ratings) In Stock. Ships from CA, United States. Expedited shipping available. Domestic shipping rates and return policy. New, in perfect condition (It damned well better be for that price!) _Get Your House Right_

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gee, "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" sounds like it might be a bit "racy" for this forum? I haven't read it, but reading a little about it sort of reminds me of "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy". Does it have pictures? I tend to lean towards non-fiction. I still have your "Influence:.." book on my Amazon wishlist. I forced myself through "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" 28 years ago too--just to see what it was about. I can't say I really "got it".

An old author I have to recommend is Paul N. Hasluck. We're talking vintage 190X. I read most of his book on "woodworking" (largely rustic) and just started his book on woodcarving this week. These are 700-800 page books (for less than $15) and the words are layed out as thoughtfully as can be. After reading only up to the 2nd page of woodcarving, I sighed as to what a treat it was! It's that good. It's still good up to page 20 and I think it would be interesting even to someone with no plans to carve any wood at all. It's already started to help train my eye (to look critically) when I look at sculpture. I caught myself doing it by accident. And beautiful pictures.. He was a genius tradesman/scholar of his time and I can't see how anyone alive now can compete with him on his turf. Enter his name at Amazon.com to see if he's written on something of interest (glass working, metal working, ...).

Sequined Love Nun... Woo Hoo!!! That one Must have pictures???

Wow, I missed the comma the first and 2nd time I read that!

Reply to
Bill

Thanks Han, that's the one I have been "considering" for a good while now.

Reply to
Jack Stein