Hole spacing

Gosh, a small-ass could fall through!!!

Reply to
Bill

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide" from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be

55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

The bonus is, since you are in a cad program, you can draw up whatever you want the holes for, and see what it will look like:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

Actually, that's where my two photographs came from in the links, and I'm sure Leon's pdf file on abpw ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

Reply to
Leon

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.

Reply to
Leon

Doesn't matter what size the holes are if you want 6 equally spaced holes in 6 inch length, then the center marks will be the same regardless of hole size, long as the size fits.

Reply to
Jack Stein

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both. Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

cad/cam software.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I described.

If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.

Reply to
Jack Stein

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both. Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I described.

If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.

====================

I would definitely use CAD software (Autosketch) for many layout required jobs in woodworking but not for this simple example / problem. Just do it on your calculator and then lay a decent 1/10" scaled ruler down and mark the hole centers. Or convert as closely as possible to fractional inches or fudge the borders to make it work out.

Note there are many woodworking calculators that can work in inches and fractions for you, too.

Reply to
Eric

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,

"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"

And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.

Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal spacing before and after the first and last hole.

Reply to
Leon

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear. It's why I provided two solutions in the form of those two drawings.

Reply to
Swingman

^ DON"T

Fuck ... I give up!

Reply to
Swingman

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

Reply to
Jack Stein

Exactly? Six 3/4" holes on a 6" stick equally spaced? Want 1/4" of stock between tangent of hole and end of stock on both ends? Then locate hole no.1 with its center 5/8" from either end, (that is the 1/4" space + 1 radian (3/8") of the hole diameter =3D 5/8) That leaves {6" - 2(5/8") =3D} 4.75" of space to split up 6 ways. Spacing =3D L/(N-1), where L =3D length of drilling space & N=3D6. So 4.75"= /

5 =3D .95" Centers for holes =3D .95" Now How? Use fence on the drill table; let hole no.1 start its center at 5/8" from the end of stock. Clamp in place against an end stop. Scribe nothing; hitting a scribe line =3D .010" error minimum. (Also true of lasers, sharp pencils, knife lines or chalk.) Make an accurate .95" spacer, easiest choice =3D garden variety Adustable Parallel. Drill hole no.1, move stop x .95" (step & repeat), butt work against new stop position, clamp & drill hole no.2. Iterate for a total of 6 holes. Tangent of last hole will hit 5/8" from opposite end of stock; all holes equally spaced

routerman

I aim to confuse! LOL

Take a look at my pdf file in abpw

Reply to
Leon

Yes, working with fractions and decimal numbers is simple if you already know how to do it. Personally, I think problems like this are perfect so someone who wants to hone his or her skills--and I mean by using pencil and paper. I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve for practice. I am willing to assist if requested.

Reply to
Bill

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Reply to
Bill

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

Reply to
Swingman

What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you? ; )

Reply to
Bill