Hitachi M12V

I have had my M12V in my router table for four years now with no problems. Just latley I've noticed that it won't start unless I tip the top with a wrench to get it to go, then it will run for a moment and quite. Is there any hope? I hope I don't have to spend $105 for a new speed control. I will bypass the controller and use my plug in unit.
Check the motor brushes before you do anything else.
AS MENTIONED EARLIER REPLACE THE BRUSHES

Call Hitachi's 800 number

Stuck/worn brushes. Don't mess with it any more until it's fixed. The poor contact at the commutator will ruin it. It's probably already pitted, so you should probably polish it with fine emery paper. Of course it coule be a bad switch, but doesn't sound quite like it. Wilson