1/4 drive in hitachi m12v?

I've never used a router, bought a M12V. I see that router bits aint cheap and I'd like to get a cheap set just to try putting cuts in wood and stuff. The sets all seem to be 1/4", will that work? any adapter needed or does it tighten like a drill?

Reply to
petebert

You need a 1/4" collet for 1/4" shank bits. Most routers come with 1/4" and

1/2", or it is available as an accessory. It does not tighten like a drill.

I suppose cheap bits are OK for test cuts, but keep in mind that good quality bits will not just last longer - they can have less tear-out, better control through sharper edges, etc.

Reply to
gw

Have you not read the instructions?

The Hitachi M12V is an 1/2" collet and comes with an 1/4" sleeve to put in the router for reduction 1/4" bits.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

From personal experience, buy bits as you need them and buy good quality. Cheap bits will disappoint you and waste your money.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

Sensible advice,however not when just starting out with a router. Cheap bits save money until the aquired knowledge of the use of the router is attained as a learning curve. No use buying an expensive bit and damaging it in the process of learning.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think my opinion falls somewhere between these two - I doubt you'd damage a good bit while learning (unless you hit a nail/screw or try to remove too much material with a small bit), but I agree it's nice to have a small set of not-very-expensive bits to practice, and if you just need a particular pattern for a small project. I started with a 15-piece set of 1/2" shank bits from mlcswoodworking.com for about $35 - these are a good step up from the common chinese/eBay/Harbor Freight bits, but are much cheaper than the high-end $20+each CMT/Whiteside/Amana bits. As I've needed other bits, either to replace worn-out bits from my set or to get new patterns, I've gotten some nicer bits (Whiteside, Freud, CMT, Onsrud, Infinity) and these are another step up from MLCS. The MLCS bits cut very well when new, but don't seem to last as long as the nicer ones. I particularly like dealing with Infinitytools.com - seems to be a very high-quality product for a reasonable price. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

thanks for the replys guys, read the instructions? yes a little.

Reply to
petebert

My experience with cheap bits is they do such a poor job it is discouraging. Because of them for a long time I never used the router because I couldn't get the results I wanted.

My problem with the sets is that out of 10 to 15 bits (yes, I have bought them), I use just 3 or 4. Buying good (not necessarily the best) quality makes things better. It is probably a good idea to buy a few of the most used bits in advance (straight, cove, round overs, ogee, pattern/trim). Woodcraft has a sale once or twice a year with their most common profiles on sale for $5 each. They are not the best bits available but they are ok.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

LOL... Been there, done that...

As we say in the computer biz, RTFM... Pertains to reading the manual before asking questions.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

You're misunderstanding my point?

Point being is... Using cheap router bits are used for gaining experience what each router bit does and what shape can be aquired so that we/he knows what to buy in the dearer bits at the same time gaining experience with the router. I'm not saying use the cheap bits as a main cutting source but mainly for learning with.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Cheap bits can ruin more wood that there will be damaged bits. Crap bits just make the learning curve that much worse as you think you are doing something wrong, but hte bit will just not cut properly.

While you don't need a $30 bit, the cheap HSS sets are really crap and should never be used, IMO. OTOH, I do have some of the $5 bits from Woodcraft and they do a good job.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And ... let me suggest that with a powerful routah like that, it'd take a very minor "oops" to have it snap off a 1/4" shank. I'd stay conservative with depth of cut and feed rate.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Her.. hello my computer has died. Him.. Your computer has died? Her.. Yes the the monitor is dead also. Him.. Is the computer and Monitor plugged into the mains? Her..Could you just hold on while I find the torch. Him..What do you need a torch for? Her.. I'm sitting in the dark. Him.. For f**k sake.

:-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Funny, though a torch seems somewhat out of place... a flashflight might make a little more sense. :)

I just image some lady sitting there with a big flaming torch!

Reply to
Locutus

I wouldn't recommend going with the 1/4" shank if your router is capable of

1/2". 1/4" are prone to breaking, especially in a router the size of the M12V. You don't want a flying router bit in the shop. Check out MLCS woodworking and get their anniversary set. Decent bits, not a lot of money. Great to learn with.
Reply to
Locutus

UK word I'm afraid. :-)

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nevermind, someone just informed me that in some parts of the world they refer to flashlights as "torches". :)

Reply to
Locutus

Go into a store in the UK and ask for a flashlight. They won't know what your talking about. Ask for a torch and they will direct you to the flashlights.

Reply to
CW

I'm afaraid you're wrong,both words are recognised. However seems if you go into an american store and ask for a Torch chances are they will get a blank expression. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Unless the store happens to sell sticks with tar soaked rags afixed to the top of them. :)

Reply to
Locutus